Baking Soda Shampoo

This is SO CHEAP and it cleanses even my oily hair and leaves it soft and silky! Follow with mixture of 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water, then rinse. Beautiful!

• 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup water

Mix well. Put in squirt bottle for easiest usage.

Squirt all over head. Work into scalp. Rinse. Repeat.

Follow with mixture of 1 TB. apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water to condition. Work into hair. Rinse. Done!

Hair may take 2 weeks to "adjust" to mixture. If extra conditioner is needed, work coconut oil or olive oil lightly into ends. Enjoy beautiful hair without harsh chemicals!

Source: Simple Organic

By Catherine from TN

Is this supposed to be a conditioner rather than a shampoo? I can see how it would work, but....

Another method is to add baking soda to your shampoo because it strips the toxins from your hair (medications, oils, etc.) I'm not sure of the effect it would have on colored hair though, it might strip that as well.

I've wanted to try this method of cleaning your hair, but have been afraid I couldn't adjust to the "in-between" period - my hair is so oily & my scalp itches when it gets too bad & right now with the heat,humidity & night sweats, I look like I poured a bottle of oil over my head. Maybe I'll try this every other day in between shampoos & see what it does for me. Thanks for the reminder!

As for the cider vinegar, I can attest that it works beautifully. My mom is 73 yrs old (with very thin,fine hair I inherited from her) & has used the vinegar rinse for probably 30 years, her beautician marvels at how nice her hair is & the fact she never seems to have split ends!I use it occasionally, but forget mostly.

I recently added a few drops of Castile soap to my 16 ounces of baking soda "shampoo" mixture just to try it. My hair and scalp still feel wonderfully clean. My son's nagging dandruff has cleared up, too!

Woman Cleaning Hair
Deep Cleaning Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips TipsJune 17, 2011
Muffin with a bite out of it.
Muffins Taste Like Baking Soda
Up close photo of the front of a baking soda box
Saving Money on Baking Soda
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Pouring Sparkling Water
Making Sparkling Water