Deep Cleaning Hair

Category Washing
Woman Cleaning Hair
Many of the hair care products we use as well as environmental pollution can leave your hair dull, lifeless, limp, and generally unclean looking. This is a guide about deep cleaning hair.

I read in a book that washing your hair weekly with baking soda takes all the build-up from hair products and such out of your hair. You just add about a half a palm full to your shampoo for the night and wash your hair as usual. I tried this and it made my hair VERY foamy while washing it but VERY soft the next day!

Since you can get a box of baking soda for around $.50, it keeps you from spending high prices on those clarifying shampoos and it's multi-purpose!

Source: Baking soda uses book.

By Fairon from Panama City Beach, FL

This is SO CHEAP and it cleanses even my oily hair and leaves it soft and silky! Follow with mixture of 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water, then rinse. Beautiful!

• 1 Tbsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup water

Directions:

Mix well. Put in squirt bottle for easiest usage.

Squirt all over head. Work into scalp. Rinse. Repeat.

Follow with mixture of 1 TB. apple cider vinegar OR lemon juice per 1 cup water to condition. Work into hair. Rinse. Done!

Hair may take 2 weeks to "adjust" to mixture. If extra conditioner is needed, work coconut oil or olive oil lightly into ends. Enjoy beautiful hair without harsh chemicals!

Source: Simple Organic

By Catherine from TN

I use baking soda on my hair about once a month to get rid of build up. The small box of soda I keep in the shower kept getting wet and the soda would clump up. As a solution, I saved an empty, large spice bottle with the shaker top to store the soda in. Problem solved.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

I'm using baking soda to wash my dry curly hair, but it's making my hair greasy looking. It looks like I haven't showered, lol. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

By Kristal Cecile D.

Sounds like you aren't getting all of the baking soda out. Try a weak rinse of one part white vinegar and 9 parts water. If that doesn't work, try a little more vinegar. Be frugal with the vinegar as your hair as you indicated is dry to start with. These types of things take experimenting and patience.

If it were me, I would stop using Baking Soda, or anything that is making your hair look greasy, and find a nice hydrating shampoo from your favorite store. You can find very inexpensive shampoo that is great for dry hair, you don't have to spend a lot. Laboratories have spent money and hours to produce the best cosmetics so we don't have to. Good luck. Salem Oregon

I would give up on the baking soda. I would never use anything such as that in my hair. Go get a nice, pleasant smelling, shampoo that is regulated for the type of hair that you have. Cosmetic companies have spent a long time developing shampoos and rinses for every type of hair. You do not have to pay exorbitant prices; often a generic brand or inexpensive brand works just as well. I have no faith in these old fashioned home remedies; waste of time and effort, in my opinion. Baking soda is an alkali; I might use it to clean a sink, but never hair.