Birds As A Bad Weather Predictor

Before and during harsh weather, wild bird behavior can help you predict the weather. This is a guide about birds as a bad weather predictor.

January 25, 2005 Flag

We feed the wild birds. We can tell when it clouds up a bit outside if bad weather is headed our way or not, by the way the wild birds are eating. If it appears that every bird in the county is there eating or waiting their turn to eat from your feeders or below them, chances are that bad weather will soon be there.

Also, when your bad weather starts, if the wild birds continue to eat out in the weather during precipitation (rain, snow, etc.), it means the bad weather is going to continue for some time. If the wild birds go in shelter from the precipitation, it usually means the bad weather will pass sometime soon. The animals know these types of things.

By Terri H.

Terri, I'm happy to know someone else appreciates the sense of nature and is 'tuned in'!

We all can learn a lot by observing God's creatures and creation!

I as well, watch the birds, especially the red birds.

Here at my house I can tell when we are in for bad weather I have a whole slew of red birds, Before we got this snow this week, I had 20 red birds at one time at my feeders. I knew something was going to happen...and it did.

Best to watch nature than the weather man...HA!HA!

Have a good day and watch those birds...

Teresa from Va.

It certainly is a lot cheaper than a weatherstation! I noticed the birds eating through the rain the past couple of days....and now we are getting a big system in time for Easter! My grandfather always taught us about cows: when they lay down in the pasture, it'll rain. If only half are standing, it's a chance of rain ;)

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesApril 28, 2014
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Protecting Grapes from Birds
smiley faces drawn on toes.
Putting Yourself in a Better Mood
Garden Weather Station
Creating a Garden Weather Station
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest