- Boil meat off a leftover ham bone (Keep meat and broth)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 5 pieces bacon (fried and crumbled, save grease)
- 2 cans whole or diced tomatoes (drain, keep juice)
- 2 cans black eyed peas (do not drain)
- 1 package Goya brand ham flavored concentrate (found in Mexican food section of grocery store)
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1 sliced jalepeno pepper (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Saute onion, jalepeno (optional) and garlic in bacon grease. Add bacon and diced, drained (keep juice) tomatoes. Continue to saute for around 15 minutes. Remove ham from the bone and throw away the gross stuff (skin and fat). Add sauteed mixture to ham and broth. Add peas and juice from the cans. Add juice from tomatoes, beef bouillon and ham flavoring. Add enough water (a couple of cups) to get the amount of broth you need. Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes to an hour. Serve with cornbread.
Tip: Use the juice from your canned vegetables in your soup to lessen the amount of water needed. If you need water for your recipe, it might as well have some taste to it and you won't have to add as much salt because canned veggies already have salt in them.
By Teresa from Lexington, SC