Black Spots On Mirror

My bathroom mirror's edges are fading. It has black splotches on the edges. What I can do to hide those splotches, maybe frame it? Any suggestions, please.

Erica from TN

Answers:

Black Spots On Mirror

I saw a program on HGTV where they built a frame that covered the outside edges of the mirror, and attached it to the mirror with Velcro. I think they used that light-weight pre-painted molding for the frame that's made out of some kind of foam product. (07/27/2008)

By Patty Lynn

Black Spots On Mirror

The bottom edge of the mirrored wall above my mother's bathroom sink was similarly discolored. I used vinyl self-stick bath/tub/floor sealer trim that was scored in the middle to cover the bottom 1/2 inch or so of the mirror and the top of the adjacent molding. The tape comes in a variety of widths. I don't think guests will notice the fix. (07/27/2008)

By Holly

Black Spots On Mirror

We had the same black spots where the silver had worn off along the edges of a huge wall sized mirror and before we sold the house we had to figure out some way to fix it without replacing the whole huge, mirror. When I saw what the folks down the street (that had an exact copy of our house) did with their bathroom mirror I was thrilled. They had framed it with an actual silver-toned picture frame that had black antiquing. I bet this custom framing cost a pretty penny, but simple wooden molding or a fancier crown molding, once painted to match the wall or with a contrasting color would look equally good.

* Here's a temporary solution for all of you renters out there. Take a grapevine wreath and soak it overnight in plain water in the bathtub or a storage tote. When it's been soaked in water overnight the vines on the wreath will become pliable. Now unwind the vines from the wreath and staple them to the bathroom wall around the edges of your mirror. Then the next day after the vine has dried out a bit, hot glue silk ivy or grape leaves and vines to it. Making sure to cover the staples with silk leaves to disguise them. This twining ivy or grape vine will look very real because of the real wooden vine. Be sure to place the ivy leaves so they cover the black spots in the mirror. I did this in a rental house and it turned out beautifully!

* Another tip: If you can get the mirror down, they make a silver mirror spray you can spray on the back. This mirror spray is made to turn glass into a mirror. You first clean the glass with rubbing alcohol, then spray on the silver mirror finish behind the glass. (07/27/2008)

By Cyinda

Black Spots On Mirror

The ammonia in window cleaner when it is sprayed on the mirror and gets behind the mirror causes this. I don't think there is any way to fix it, short of re-silvering the mirror. The best way is to just try to hide it. (07/28/2008)

By susanmajp

Black Spots On Mirror

Some of the home improvement stores sell strips of mirror that you can use to do a border. Or a mirror shop will do the same thing for you. It is just cheaper if you do it yourself. (07/28/2008)

Black Spots On Mirror

You can't fix it, so hide it. I have done this for fixing holes in furniture and walls. I simply find some interesting buttons and tacky or hot glue them to the places I want to look nicer. You can also get stained glass paint and liquid lead and make a "faux" stained glass frame around the damaged edges. You will have to have the mirror on a flat surface though, as you don't want anything to run. Craft shops sell faux gems, tiles, and half beads that can make it very unique. Good luck! (07/30/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Black Spots on Mirrors
Fixing Black Spots on Mirrors
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
🎉
🎄