Blessings Jar for the New Year

Most people make resolutions for the New Year. Even if we don't always follow through, it still feels good to make these goals. We have a sense of purpose and a chance at a fresh start. Another way to keep up the New Year's momentum and stay positive is to create a Blessings Jar.

You simply find any clear jar with a lid to collect your blessings. Anytime something good happens to you or around you during the year, write it down on a small piece of paper, along with the date. Fold the paper and place it in the jar. Write down anything that moves you, from quotes, celebrations, compliments, promotions, family, church, etc. If you witness a random act of kindness, put it in the jar. If you have a wonderful dream, put it in the jar. Basically, anything that makes you happy can go in the jar.

A year later, on New Year's Eve, open up your Blessings Jar and read what gave you joy during that year. My mom and I both did this last year and we really enjoyed the process. The pictures show a few examples of what I wrote during the year. I didn't write something every day, or even every week. I still managed to accumulate a jar full of memories, including diet triumphs and job changes. I even had a helper during the year who added into my pile. A student that I tutored wanted to be a part of filling my jar and she wrote the sweetest things. Of course, she managed to become several of my own blessings too!

This idea could be used in a church setting especially with children; the children would come into their Sunday school class and write down a blessing and placing it in the decorative jar. After collecting the Jar full of blessings from the children, a bulletin board can be made with blessings placing the sheets of paper that the children wrote their blessings upon and attaching them to the blessing board. It can be a wonderful inspirational display.

Top Comment

I like this idea too! I implemented something similar in my Pre-K classroom. When I caught a student helping others, following directions, being a friend, etc, I wrote it down on a post-it with the date. Each student then placed their post-it on a large board for all to see. They would take the notes home each week, after reading them during snack time. I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for the reminder and your idea!

This is a wonderful tool for training the mind to think positively. I love it.

I agree! I didn't do this in 2016 and I regretted it. I still have my 2015 jar displayed and smile when I think about it. I definitely want to keep up with this tradition!

Better Living InspirationalDecember 29, 2016
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Paint Can Cookie Jar
Making a Paint Can Cookie Jar
beaded lid
Crafts Using Jar Lids
Snowman Jar Craft
Snowman Jar Crafts
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 10:48:23 AM on 10.0.0.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.