Budgie Squawking When Owner Not Home

I have a wonderful Budgie named Paulina Simone who has been mine for about four years now. We bonded deeply as I never bought another budgie for her to partner with. When I'm around and can talk to her or hold her she makes beautiful sounds and is a happy bird. However, in the last six months I moved in with my bf and he has informed me when I leave the house she sqwaks non stop at an unbearable volume :/

I had attempted two years ago to get another bird and Paulina proceeded to pick on the bird and then tear out her own feathers so I don't think an additional bird is a solution.

What can I do to help her be happy when I'm away?

Best Answer

We had budgies for a number of years when our children were small. We always covered their cage with a lightweight cotton cover and it always seemed to calm them. You can make your own, or buy one at any pet supply store.

It would be for hours at a time, is it okay to be covering her for that much time each day?

Best Answer

Do not reward the bird with any attention or eye contact. It will minimize in due time.

Cover her cage, or get another on and keep it in a separate cage, where she can see it, but not attack it.

Thank you for the suggestion, it was actually once I separated them that she began to abuse herself. I concluded the other bird stressed her out and within two days of it being gone she had stopped plucking.