Here's a way to put your extra loose buttons to artistic use - a beautiful button dish! All it takes is some buttons and glue. I made this one to hold my jewelry in the bathroom.
Approximate Time: 1 day
- clear gloss glaze (optional)
- dish or bowl
- Choose a dish or shallow bowl that has a shape you'd like your button dish to match.
- Arrange your buttons in different patterns on the dish until you figure out what pattern you like.
- Remove buttons and line the dish completely with aluminum foil.
- Squeeze some glue onto the foil-lined dish and start placing your buttons, starting from the center, working outwards. Keep gluing and placing buttons until you're happy with your dish.
- Let dry overnight. Dish is done when the buttons don't move anymore when you touch gently with your finger (I gave mine about 16 hours).
- If you use big buttons in your design (like I did), add a light coating of clear gloss glaze for more stability.
- Remove button dish (will have foil stuck to it) and gently peel off foil.
Enjoy your beautiful and useful recycled art!
By attosa from Los Angeles, CA
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
Aw, thanks so much to you both! I adore buttons too. I think they are so cute when used in untraditional forms. I'm collecting a bunch of smaller ones. Now to make something more intricate. Will post if it comes out right. :)
Very cute. I love anything made with buttons or is embellished with them. I put them on frames, photos, plaques, tins and glassware. The photos are clear and the instructions are great too. Thanks for sharing this really cute idea.
This is very cute! Thanks for sharing :)
Add your voice to the conversation.