Making a Dish Out of Buttons

Category Home Decor
This button dish is fun to make and display. This is a guide about making a dish out of buttons.

Here's a way to put your extra loose buttons to artistic use - a beautiful button dish! All it takes is some buttons and glue. I made this one to hold my jewelry in the bathroom.

Approximate Time: 1 day

Instructions:

1. Choose a dish or shallow bowl that has a shape you'd like your button dish to match.
  2. Arrange your buttons in different patterns on the dish until you figure out what pattern you like.
  3. Remove buttons and line the dish completely with aluminum foil.
  4. Ad

5. Squeeze some glue onto the foil-lined dish and start placing your buttons, starting from the center, working outwards. Keep gluing and placing buttons until you're happy with your dish.
  6. Let dry overnight. Dish is done when the buttons don't move anymore when you touch gently with your finger (I gave mine about 16 hours).
  7. If you use big buttons in your design (like I did), add a light coating of clear gloss glaze for more stability.
  8. Remove button dish (will have foil stuck to it) and gently peel off foil.

Enjoy your beautiful and useful recycled art!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

This is very cute! Thanks for sharing :)

Very cute. I love anything made with buttons or is embellished with them. I put them on frames, photos, plaques, tins and glassware. The photos are clear and the instructions are great too. Thanks for sharing this really cute idea.
PBP

Aw, thanks so much to you both! I adore buttons too. I think they are so cute when used in untraditional forms. I'm collecting a bunch of smaller ones. Now to make something more intricate. Will post if it comes out right. :)

This gives me something to make out of old buttons I have from my Mom and Grandmothers. Thanks!