Buying a Garter Belt

Lace Garter Belt
With the rising popularity of panty hose the garter belt moved from the popular market to the specialty one. However, there are times when you need a plain utilitarian garter belt. This is a guide about buying a garter belt.

I was recently told to start wearing support hose. I bought a pair of thigh highs thinking they were meant to be held up on the upper thigh. Well, I brought them home and they were literally stockings! I can't take them back, no refund. I have no garter belt. I honestly thought those things were outdated already? I mean, this is support hose, not the sexy kind. Where in the world will I find a garter belt that is standard, not the sexy kind? Please help, I need to wear them, it does help. Thanks in advance.

By Kathy54 from Cincinnati, OH

Try the lingerie department of JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, and Macy's. If you are in the American South, try Dillard's, too. I was in the States during Spring 2011 and saw plain garter belts in all of those stores. You may want check the bridal department, not all of the things available there are over-the-top sexy.

If you sew, KwikSew has garter belt patterns that are simple, and easy to sew. I've made several to wear with support hose.

Also, I have worn Hanes sheer support panty hose-very comfortable, eliminating the need for garter belts, and doctor approved as support hose.

Hi again,

I agree that you may not be able to find what you need at a garage sale but I frequent thrift stores in my area and see these girdles quite often.

I have found very nice (sometimes very new) girdles for less than 1.00 and this has been a big savings for me. Our health and welfare comes before cost but when possible I like to save money.

I can't help you with a garter belt, and I don't wear support hose, but with regular thigh-highs what I do to keep them in place is put them on then put on the bicycle short style shapewear, making sure to pull the legs down over the tops of the hose. I buy a brand of shapewear from Kohls. They have it at just about everywhere now. Hope this works for you.

Check out National on line. They have support hose that have elastic around the top so you will not need anything to hold them up. I don't wear their support hose, but I have been very satisfied with their regular hose. Hope this helps.