Shopping for a Garter Belt for Support Hose?

I was recently told to start wearing support hose. I bought a pair of thigh highs thinking they were meant to be held up on the upper thigh. Well, I brought them home and they were literally stockings! I can't take them back, no refund. I have no garter belt. I honestly thought those things were outdated already? I mean, this is support hose, not the sexy kind. Where in the world will I find a garter belt that is standard, not the sexy kind? Please help, I need to wear them, it does help. Thanks in advance.


By Kathy54 from Cincinnati, OH

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

February 28, 20120 found this helpful

Did your doctor tell you to wear support hose? If so did he/she say the thigh high ones or specify any length? I would think if you were told to wear them by a doctor, they would have told you what length to wear. Also to get the proper size for yourself you have to be measured by a professional, because they go by different measurements.

Recently I got a pair of knee high ones and spoke to the sales person at a medical supply store, I gave her my calf measurement and she informed me that what she needed was the ankle measurement, in order for them to do the proper job.


Different brands might need different measurements. From what different people have told me I wouldn't buy them over the counter.


Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
February 29, 20120 found this helpful

Hi - these stockings can be expensive so I understand your question.
Be sure these are the correct style you need first (you can call your doctors office and ask if you are not sure).
If these are the proper ones for you then I would suggest you visit some of your local thrift stores and try to find a couple of pairs of panty style girdles. Be sure to buy a size or two larger than you wear because you will not want them to be too tight. But - not too big either as you do not want them to be "falling" all the time.


Preowned/Used in good condition is okay because you will surely launder them well before wearing.
Good luck and good health!


Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 450 Feedbacks
February 29, 20120 found this helpful

You will never find a girdle at a garage sale. Not in a million years. My father had to wear those thigh high hose. He bought glue, I think at the medical supply store) and it held his hose up all day long.

It is the kind of glue skaters and beauty contestants use to keep their costumes in place. It came in a bottle and rolled on. He ran the tube around his leg, pressed the top of the hose against the glue and he was all set. The problem with calf length hose is that on many people, they constrict the blood flow right below the knee making the problem worse. The glue washed off in the shower.


Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 282 Feedbacks
February 29, 20120 found this helpful

Try the lingerie department of JC Penney, Sears, Kohls, and Macy's. If you are in the American South, try Dillard's, too. I was in the States during Spring 2011 and saw plain garter belts in all of those stores. You may want check the bridal department, not all of the things available there are over-the-top sexy.


If you sew, KwikSew has garter belt patterns that are simple, and easy to sew. I've made several to wear with support hose.

Also, I have worn Hanes sheer support panty hose-very comfortable, eliminating the need for garter belts, and doctor approved as support hose.


Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
February 29, 20120 found this helpful

Hi again,
I agree that you may not be able to find what you need at a garage sale but I frequent thrift stores in my area and see these girdles quite often.

I have found very nice (sometimes very new) girdles for less than 1.00 and this has been a big savings for me. Our health and welfare comes before cost but when possible I like to save money.

March 2, 20120 found this helpful

I can't help you with a garter belt, and I don't wear support hose, but with regular thigh-highs what I do to keep them in place is put them on then put on the bicycle short style shapewear, making sure to pull the legs down over the tops of the hose. I buy a brand of shapewear from Kohls. They have it at just about everywhere now. Hope this works for you.

March 5, 20120 found this helpful

Check out National on line. They have support hose that have elastic around the top so you will not need anything to hold them up. I don't wear their support hose, but I have been very satisfied with their regular hose. Hope this helps.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In These Pages
Consumer Advice Product FinderFebruary 27, 2012
Easter Ideas!
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-03-13 12:17:56 in 4 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.