Wearing Support Hose

support hose with red shoes
When you spend the day on your feet, or have trouble with varicose veins, it can help to wear nylons with extra support for your legs. This is a guide about wearing support hose.

Tired of struggling with TED hose (anti-embolism compression stockings). Don't fret. I have a very slick solution. Takes half the time as it normally would.

You'll need: a mouse pad for computer, a pair of Playtex rubber gloves and of course the TED hose. Place the mouse pad on floor. Next lay your TED hose down. Scoot your foot while pressing your foot down on pad. The pad acts as a second pair of hands. The foot should be in place. Than grab the gloves and put them on. Grab the top part of hose.

Don't pull too hard or you'll stretch them out. As soon as you get enough of hose on leg , you can push them up with gloves and no more pulling, unless you absolutely need too. The gloves grippers are like fingers and grabs the TED hose and helps smooth them out as well ease the stress of pulling. The socks go on like butter.

My doctor just increased the tightness of my support hose due to a venous insufficiency problem in my legs. The darn things are so much tighter than the ones I had been wearing that I don't use them daily like I'm supposed to.

I saw in a catalog once some type of device that helps you put them on and take them off easier and now don't know where I saw it. Any ideas anyone to help me?

By Gayle from Rochester, NY

Anonymous

It is called a support hose butler. Amazon sells a few varieties.

http://www.amaz  amp;x=8&y=19

I have had to put on some pretty tight hose, granted not that tight, but tight and I was surprised at how well gravity kicks in when i would lie on my bed on my back and put my hose on with my legs in the air! It works! after all your pulling them downward onto your leg! Your not trying to fight them upward! You try it ok!

About thirty years ago I took a nurse's aid course and we were taught when we put the hose on a post surgical patient to roll them all the way down to the toe and cover the toes of the patient and then gradually unroll them until they were all the way up. I am assuming that would for work for you too. That is the way we used to put our nylons on back before the day of stupid panty hose. When my Mother was recuperating after cancer surgery, I was the only one of us three girls that knew how to put the hose on her, and she was really impressed. I showed my sisters how to do it because I couldn't be there all the time.

Any medical supply store in your area will carry them or order you one.

Maybe putting a little baby powder on your legs would help the hose slide over them easier.

Sometimes putting a pair of regular nylon panty hose on first, and then slipping the support hose over them helps. rolling the support hose does help.

Buy some rubber gloves, the kind that have small ridges on the palm. The medical supply store that sells the stockings should also sell these gloves. Ask the fitter to show you how to properly don the stockings. Put the stocking over your toes, then don the rubber gloves, and "walk" the compression stocking up to your knee. Ditto for the other leg also. It's important to wear the compression stockings daily, and be sure to rinse them out each night in order to have the stockings' memory restored with each washing. Hope this helps.

You might try your local medical supply store. There are various sizes of stocking aids including ones for support hose.

I had something called a "sock donner" in my "hip kit" when I had hip replacement surgery this summer. It helped a little, because I was not supposed to bend over, but it was still tough to get my compression stockings on. Mine are knee highs at 30mg - pretty tight. Yes - it is important to wear them every day with these vein problems. Now that I can bend, I just scrunch them down, put them over my toes, pull them up my foot until the heel is place, then grab both sides and pull them up. With good care, two pairs lasted a whole year. Rubber gloves sounds like a good idea - worth trying. I used to put on regular pantyhose by lying on my back with my legs in the air when I had back problems. Now I sit on the edge of the bed. The sock donner came from a medical supply place; it was part of a kit with other helpful tools and I don't know the item price, but it's probably around $5-10. A web search should find it - try "sock donner" or "stocking aids" or similar words. My problem is the tops of the compression stockings roll down and form a roll, like an old-time garter, below my knee, and becomes painful by the end of the day. I wish I knew how to prevent that.

The yellow rubber gloves or gardening gloves, helped me a lot but I also used a coffee can ! I cut the top and bottom out of a 2 1/2 pound can (make sure that there aren't any places to catch or cut you, or put some wide tape over the edges). Then I put the toe of the sock in to the can and open up the sock and flare the top of it over and down the outside of the can. Then I would put my toe into the can/ and into the sock/ and slip the can up my leg as far as it would comfortably go. The sock just glided up and as it got to the place where the can needed to stop, I could grab a good chunk of the sock with the gripp-ie-ness of the gloves. TA-DA! I hope that this helps everyone. Darn socks.

I was recently told to start wearing support hose. I bought a pair of thigh highs thinking they were meant to be held up on the upper thigh. Well, I brought them home and they were literally stockings! I can't take them back, no refund. I have no garter belt. I honestly thought those things were outdated already? I mean, this is support hose, not the sexy kind. Where in the world will I find a garter belt that is standard, not the sexy kind? Please help, I need to wear them, it does help. Thanks in advance.

By Kathy54 from Cincinnati, OH

Did your doctor tell you to wear support hose? If so did he/she say the thigh high ones or specify any length? I would think if you were told to wear them by a doctor, they would have told you what length to wear. Also to get the proper size for yourself you have to be measured by a professional, because they go by different measurements.

Recently I got a pair of knee high ones and spoke to the sales person at a medical supply store, I gave her my calf measurement and she informed me that what she needed was the ankle measurement, in order for them to do the proper job. Different brands might need different measurements. From what different people have told me I wouldn't buy them over the counter.

Hi - these stockings can be expensive so I understand your question.

Be sure these are the correct style you need first (you can call your doctors office and ask if you are not sure).

If these are the proper ones for you then I would suggest you visit some of your local thrift stores and try to find a couple of pairs of panty style girdles. Be sure to buy a size or two larger than you wear because you will not want them to be too tight. But - not too big either as you do not want them to be "falling" all the time.

Preowned/Used in good condition is okay because you will surely launder them well before wearing.

Good luck and good health!