Cabbage Roll Recipes

Category Main Dishes
Cabbage Roll Recipes
Cabbage leaves wrapped around your favorite filling and simmered in a tasty sauce make a hearty dinner entree. This Polish family recipe could be called golapki, golumpki or galumpkis. This page contains cabbage roll recipes.

• 1 medium to large head of cabbage, (leaves loosened by placing in boiling water until pliable)
  • 1/2 - 1 lb. ground beef, browned
  • 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup uncooked, long-cooking rice
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 large can sauerkraut
  • 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 (30 oz.) can tomato sauce

Directions:

Mix chili powder and 1/2 tsp. salt into tomato sauce and set aside.

Mix the beef, onion, garlic, egg, rice, remaining salt, pepper, and place about 1/4 cup of this mixture into the middle of cabbage leaves and roll into several bundles.

Layer in crock pot in this order: 1/3 sauerkraut, 1/3 sauce mixture, 1/2 cabbage bundles, repeat, ending with the last layer of sauerkraut and sauce on top.

I cook about an hour on high, to bring it to a simmer, and then about 4 to six on low, until the rice is done but not too mushy. This freezes very well. A nice accompaniment is mashed potatoes and tomato gravy and fresh or frozen corn.

By Margie M.

These are incredibly yummy and easy to make.

• 1 lb. hamburger, browned
  • 2 tsp. onion flakes
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 2 cups cut up cabbage
  • 1 cup uncooked instant rice
  • 2 cups tomato juice
  • 1 large can chopped tomatoes

Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except tomatoes and juice. Pour tomatoes and juice over top. Bake in 9x13 inch pan at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. This is more like a casserole than actual cabbage rolls.

Servings: 9-12
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Seasoned rice stuffed, rolled cabbage leaves baked in a tomato based sauce are a delicious main dish choice. This page contains a stuffed cabbage rolls (galumpkis) recipe.

folded stuffed leaf in pan

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

These delectable low carb cabbage rolls are sure to be hit with anyone who eats them. This page contains Italian sausage stuffed cabbage rolls recipe.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

These are a great tasty dish! The tomatoes and sauce add to this recipe!

• 1 large head cabbage
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 lbs. ground meat
  • 1/2 cup Minute Rice
  • 1 small can mushrooms
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Mix meat, eggs, rice, mushrooms, seasonings and onion together. Separate large outer leaves of cabbage and boil in salt water about 2 minutes or until limp enough to handle easily. Fill cabbage leaves with meat filling and fasten with toothpicks.

Put in casserole and add 1 can tomato juice and 1 cup water. Tomatoes may also be added, 1 quart. Simmer slowly about 2 hours in 250-300 degree F oven. Add more water if needed to keep rolls from burning.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 120 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Could someone give me a simple recipe for cabbage rolls. Thank you.

By Rosalie

Makes:

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 0 minutes

Ready In: 1 hour, 30 minutes

A classic Cajun dish that can be frozen. Prepare a large batch to be enjoyed over and over again.

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef 1/2 cup onions chopped

salt and pepper to taste 3/4 cup uncooked rice (more or less)

1 large head of cabbage 2 cans tomato sauce (8 oz)

2 cans water 1 1/2 tsp sugar

Directions

Cut and core the heart of the cabbage as far down as you can.

In a large pot, boil water and parboil the cabbage. As the cabbage gets softer, remove the leaves individually.

Combine the beef (ground pork could me mixed with beef), rice, onions and seasonings. Roll in to balls. Wrap the softened cabbage leaves around the mixture and fasten with toothpicks. (Note rice will cook and expand).

In a large pot, put 2 cans tomato sauce and 2 cans water (add enough water to mark just below the top of the rolls). Add salt and pepper and sugar. Cook over low heat for one hour. Good luck.

Mix hamburger meat, sausage (I use 1 pound sausage to every two pounds hamburger ) minute rice chopped onions and seasonings to taste add some grated Parmesan cheese , roll in parboiled cabbage leaves put in sprayed 9x13 pan cover with tomato sauce seasoned with garlic and basil bake for about an hour sprinkle with more cheese and bake 30 more minutes till done, serve with corn and hot rolls. I did not put amounts of meat because i eyeball everything by the crowd I am serving but this is a family favorite at our house.

It is important to use a better type of ground meat or it will be too greasy. I used to wait until round steak was on sale and have the butcher grind it up for me.

Cabbage rolls made the old fashioned way are very labor intensive. If you want an easier method, read the last part. One of the best restaurants in Tucson, AZ heard about my mother's cabbage rolls and asked her for the recipe.

1 1/2 -2 pounds ground steak

1 onion, chopped

1 cup rice, prepared

2-3 cans condensed tomato soup (seems to give a smoother taste than tomato sauce but it us up to you if you prefer to use sauce instead)

2 heads cabbage

Mix the meat, onions and rice together with salt and pepper as desired. Roll into large meatballs that are more of an oval shape.

Here is the hard part - to make a good cabbage roll you need to steam the outer leaves of the cabbage to make them pliable enough to roll. That is why you have two heads of cabbage so you can alternate between them. At the base of each leaf, slice the thick part so it is thinner. Place the meatball on the leaf near the stem end and start to roll it. Fold the sides of the leaf over and keep on rolling. The cabbage roll should be nice and snug. Do this for all the cabbage roll, Chop the remaining cabbage into large chunks.

Place the cabbage rolls in a Dutch oven or large casserole. Put the remaining cabbage chunks on top. Mix a little water with the tomato soup and pour over the cabbage rolls. Bake 375 for an hour, check for doneness with a meat thermometer.

Easier method: Make meatballs as before, cut cabbage into chunks. Cover the bottom of the casserole or Dutch oven with cabbage, put meatballs on top and completely cover them with more cabbage. Pour soup and bake as above.

In my family we use the tomato soup "gravy" from the finished dish as gravy on mashed potatoes. ALSO: Use this same recipe for stuffed peppers, the meatballs and the tomato soup. And, if not everyone likes to eat the peppers or you want a milder flavor, just stuff one or two peppers and put in with the plain meatballs and then pour the soup over them. This "gravy" is fantastic on mashed potatoes.

I use 2 lbs.ground chuck

1 head of lettuce

1cup rice

2 cans roasted garlic diced tomatoes

Salt

Take all ingreients except cabbage and tomatoes and mix toether in a bowl. Form into balls. Take cabbage leaf and wrap around each ball.put about a cup of water in a saucepan and add rolled cabbage balls. Pour the 2 cans of tomatoes over top and fill 1 can with water and pour over top. Cover and bring to a boil. After it starts boiling turn down to simmer for about 45 mins. to an hour. Check often that it doesn't get dry.

For a simple recipe, I use my meatloaf recipe to stuff the parboiled cabbage leaves. I usually don't use rice, but it can be used minutely and will absorb juices from the ground meat, then top with tomato sauce.

Cabbage With Porcupine Ballz

Cabbage rolls without rolling the cabbage leaves.

1+1/2 lb, lean ground beef

2 finely diced onion

1+1/2 cups uncooked white rice, divided

1 small cabbage, 3/4"in. slices or diced

1 t. seasoned salt

1 t. Italian seasoning

1 can diced tomatoes with juice or more

1 can beef broth ; 14 - 16oz. or more

---Preheat the oven to 350*F.

Put the ground beef into a mixing bowl. Measure 3/4 cup of the rice plus 1/2 - 3/4 cup of finely diced onion and mix in with the meat.

Mix all together. Form this mixture into 12 or more golf ball-size balls.

---In a large casserole dish, spread 1/2 the cabbage to cover the bottom of casserole ; add the remaining rice, onion, salt, Italian seasoning, diced tomatoes & beef broth. Stir together.

Place and partially submerge the meatballs. Cover the meatballs with some of the cabbage.

Cover tightly with foil or lid & bake for about 35 minutes.

Remove from oven and stir. Cover and bake another 30 - 40 minutes.

The rice in meatballs will have puffed up & your meat-balls will look like, little porcupines!

Cooks Note:

Put oven mitts on when you remove the foil, the steam will be super hot!

Later, redskin

I lost my sweet and sour cabbage rolls recipe. This baked recipe was given to me by my aunt 25 years ago. The cabbage was filled with ground beef and brown sugar was used to flavor the juice. Does anyone have a similar recipe?

By Sherrie K.

I have made sweet and sour cabbage using the beef with egg and uncooked rice. Then I roll it in soft cabbage (looks like a egg roll) For the juice I use tomato sauce and tomato paste with sweet and sour salt for taste. This was my great grandma's recipe. Good luck

I had this at an elderly friends home years ago, and it was delicious! She gave me the recipe:

CABBAGE ROLLS WITH SWEET/SOUR SAUCE

1 head Cabbage

Meat Filling:

3 lb. ground beef

2 eggs

3/4 C. rice, uncooked

Sweet/Sour Sauce:

1 32oz. can solid tomatoes

2 8oz.cans tomato sauce

1-2 cans water

2 T. lemon juice

1 C. brown sugar

salt and pepper

Boil cabbage about 5 minutes. Separate leaves

and fill with meat mixture. Secure with toothpick.

Place in pan. Top with sauce.

Bake 2 to 3 hours (uncovered last 1/2 hour).

I am making stuffed cabbage rolls stuffed with chicken, rice, and celery. I want to bake the chicken and cook the cabbage leaves and rice in advance, first, and then stuff this mixture into the cabbage leaves, roll, and secure with a toothpick. If I do it this way, how long should I bake the rolls in the oven and at what temperature?

Thank you.

vmdedolce

Anonymous

I am confused why you wouldn't just follow the particular recipe intructions you're using? If you don't have a particular recipe just scroll down here on this page and you'll find oodles of ideas and recipes and also Google 'cabbage roll recipes'. We could give you how long to bake but without knowing your recipe and amount of ingredients you could end up with a disaster if any of us simply gave you an estimate.

Ingredients

• 8 large cabbage leaves
  • 1 lb. hamburger
  • 1/2 cup cracker crumbs
  • minced onions to taste
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 can tomatoes
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • garlic powder, to taste

Directions

Boil cabbage leaves in water to cover in saucepan until tender; drain and set aside. Combine next 7 ingredients in bowl with enough tomato sauce to moisten, mixing well. Roll hamburger mixture in cabbage leaves. Place in baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over cabbage rolls. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Editor's Note: Look for more recipes and ideas in the feedback (scroll down).

Does anyone know how to make Cabbage Rolls?

carrie from Hoquiam, WA

Answers:

Cabbage Rolls

These cabbage rolls freeze well.

Prep Time: approx. 30 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 2 Hours

Ready in: approx. 2 Hours 30 Minutes. Makes 12 servings.

Ingredients

• 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 large heads savoy cabbage
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1/2 pound pork sausage
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 (26 ounce) can condensed
  • tomato soup
  • 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled
  • tomatoes, with liquid
  • 8 bay leaves

Directions

Wash rice thoroughly. In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups rice and 4 cups water. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.

In the meantime, remove the core from the cabbages using a thin, long knife. Place 1 cabbage in a microwave proof container with a lid with core side down. Pour 1/2 cup water into the container with the cabbage, cover and microwave on HIGH (full power) for 10 minutes. Carefully turn cabbage over and cook covered for an additional 10 minutes. When cabbage is cooked, let sit until it is cool enough to handle. Separate leaves carefully, removing any tough ribs. Cook the second cabbage in the same manner.

Divide chopped onions in half. Saute one half of the onions in 3 tablespoons butter; cook just until translucent (do not brown). In a large mixing bowl, mix together both the cooked and uncooked rice, cooked and uncooked onions, ground beef, pork sausage, garlic, dill weed, salt, black pepper and sugar and mix well to blend.

Spoon about 2 tablespoons of mixture onto each cabbage leaf. Bring one end of cabbage leaf over mixture, roll and tuck ends in to prevent any filling from falling out.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare two 9x13 inch casserole dishes by placing some left over cabbage leaves in bottom of each. Arrange cabbage rolls in a single layer tight against each other.

In a food processor or blender, process condensed tomato soup and tomatoes. Pour tomato mixture over the cabbage rolls until just covered. Place 4 bay leaves on top of sauce in each dish. Cover each dish tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 2 hours. Once cooked, remove the dishes from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes before removing aluminum foil. Serve hot.

(09/06/2007)

By Janine

Cabbage Roll Recipe

I would make my cabbage rolls just like any other person would by cooking the leaves so they come off easily. Take your hamburger and pork along with your onion, mix that with your spices omitting the rice and roll up your cabbage rolls. I use tomato soup in my cabbage rolls and at the very top I use approximately 4-5 slices of bacon laid right on top of the last layer before going into the oven. That gives them a "smokey" flavor. (09/06/2007)

By Chris from Latrobe, PA

Cabbage Roll Recipe

My mom used to make cabbage rolls all the time. You bring a large pot of water to a boil and put the whole head of cabbage in the boiling water for just a few minutes until the leaves are pliable. (about 5 to 10 minutes) Remove the cabbage head and put it on a plate to cool and drain. Peel off some of the outer leaves (about 10 or 12)

In a mixing bowl, combine approximately 1 cup of ground beef with 1/2 cup uncooked rice. Mix well. Put about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture into the center of the cabbage leaf and wrap.

Make a gravy from 1 can of tomato soup, 1/2 soup can of red wine vinegar, 1/2 soup can of water, salt, pepper, worchestire sauce and a few teaspoons of sugar. Mix well.

Put the cabbage rolls in a large, flat skillet with a tight fitting lid. Pour the gravy over the top. You can thinly slice some of the remaining cabbage and sprinkle that in the gravy. Slowly simmer about 1 hour with a tight fitting lid on the skillet. (09/06/2007)

By Kathy H.

STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 8 cabbage leaves
  • 1 can V-8 juice or 1 can of petite tomatoes
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup picante sauce
  • 1 clove garlic

Par-boil cabbage to remove leaves. Combine meat, onion, oatmeal, garlic, salt and pepper; add picante sauce.

Roll meat mixture onto cabbage leaves. Fold under tips and put into a pot roast pan.

Pour either juice or tomato sauce over rolls. Add enough water to cook.

Simmer on top of stove for 1 hour.

(09/08/2007)

By Mythi

I am looking for a stuffed cabbage roll recipe that does not use rice, as my family does not eat rice. Thank you in advance for your help!

jmz2005 from Illinois

Answers:

Cabbage Roll Recipe

I do not have a recipe, but you might be able to substitute bread crumbs or oatmeal for rice. Basically make a meat loaf mixture that has bread crumbs in it, wrap the cabbage around it, and proceed as you would for any other cabbage roll recipe.
Hope this helps.
By the way...does anyone have a recipe for stuffed cabbage that does not use a tomato based sauce? (03/01/2006)

By cosmic

Cabbage Roll Recipe

You could use couscous - I think that would work.
(03/01/2006)

By ANNIE

BOTH Cabbage Roll Recipe

Hi, That is one ethnic food I grew up with, and so I know how to make it a variety of ways, you can make the recipe with barley instead the rice. My grandma did that sometimes. Also, my mom is allergic to tomato, so my grandmother would use beef broth and add some paprika if my mom was coming, gave it a nice twist to that taste when you are use to tomato. RECIPE: sorry I do not use measurements, but, core your cabbage head as well as you can, steam if for a few minutes, till the leaves are a bit transparent, pull out of water and peel leaves off as whole as you can, mix: I use beef and bit of ground pork for the filling, with just a very little bit of basil, some garlic, and pepper, I use minute rice (uncooked), but like I said you can use barley. rolling: make sure you put meat in the "cup" part of leaf, and fold the edges in as you roll so they stay tight, I use tomato juice for the sauce, and get a small can of sour kraut rinse very well put in your roaster, add your rolls, if there is left over meat you can make them into balls, kids don't seem to like the cabbage part. Add a tad of sugar
and roast for like 2-3 hrs on 325, check frequently to make sure rolls are staying moist, (covered almost completely) add water if needed, make sure its not scorching on the bottom, and enjoy (03/02/2006)

By Gina

Cabbage Roll Recipe

I use regular saltine crackers when I make cabbage rolls. First I boil my cabbage and cut the leaves off. Then in a big bowl I combine hamburger, eggs (1 egg for each lb. of meat), onion soup mix (1 pack for eack lb. of meat) & pack of saltine crackers crushed. Mix it all up and stuff your cabbage. I pour a couple of jars of spaghetti sauce over the cabbage rolls (enough to almost cover them and add a little water). Bake for a few hours depending on how many cabbage rolls there are. I always get compliments on my cabbage rolls. (03/02/2006)

By luv2craft

Cabbage Roll Recipe

JMZ2005
I don't put Rice in my cabbage rolls either.I just use saltine Crackers,some times I just make up the mixture for a meatloaf and roll it up in the cabbage leaves.it works just fine.the reason I use the crackers is to give the meat a binding agent and that's what the rice is there for.it tastes just as good and I think you'll be happy with the results. (03/03/2006)

By Georgia Peach

Cabbage Roll Recipe

Try ouzo which is a rice shaped pasta. Or any tiny pasta. You could even break up spaghetti noodles into very small pieces. (03/05/2006)

By thriftyboo

Cabbage Roll Recipe

try cooked pearl barley or maybe couscous (10/28/2006)

By Thelma