General AdviceConsumer Advice

Can I Connect a Microwave to a Surge Protector?

Does connecting a microwave to a surge protector damage it in any way?

By Hugo A.

No, a microwave on a surge protector is completely safe. All electrical devices are safe on a surge protector. The only time there is a danger is if you are daisy chaining surge protectors and plugging in lots of devices. Use extension cords for distance and don't put a surge protector on the end of an extension cord unless it is a heavy duty construction type extension cord.

I wouldn't.

Several years ago we had a terrible ice storm and the electrical boxes on the poles were exploding. Suddenly, there was this huge ball of blue light behind my microwave. My husband had the microwave plugged into a surge protector and that was plugged into the outlet. Well, the surge protector was burnt complete up just a charred mass remained. The wall was black but the wiring was not hurt. The microwave wasn't even affected. Boy am I glad we had that surge protector for the microwave. Good luck and God Bless.