Can I Still Use a Scorched Stainless Steel Pan?

Scorched Stainless Steel Pan
Deciding whether to use a damaged pan or toss it can be frustrating in the absence of information about its food safety. This is a guide about "Can I still use a scorched stainless steel pan?".

I was boiling water and completely forgot about it. The stove was on high. When I found the pan, the bottom was all black on the inside and the outside was covered with ashes. It is a stainless steel pan with copper on the outside bottom. Can it still be used?

By Tex from Archbold, OH

Anonymous

As long as it's not Teflon coated you most certainly can!

I use mine, and it happened years ago. If I remember right I just scoured it with the finest steel wool I could find. It is still discolored.

Yes, I once found a 7" Revere Copper Bottomed Stainless Steel Pan in the trash, it was scorched black. I scrubbed every time I used it and in I go the whole thing to shine, even the copper bottom.

I boiled water in my 2 gallon stainless pan with a copper bottom. I forgot about it and all the copper was burnt off. Is the pan still safe to use or trash it?

By Thomas

Is the pan truly copper? I know it's really hard to cook/scrub/scrap the copper off of those pans. What's important is what the inside of the pan looks like. If it is smooth and still fresh steel/stainless then you are ok. The worst that can happen is that the pan may cook a little uneven so remember that with sauces and thick soups unless you can get the outside of the pan the same thickness. If using a sealed top electric stove be sure the bottom is very even or you may crack your stove.

I have cleaned the outside of a few pans with a drill and a wire brush to make them even and it never changed how they looked or cooked on the inside, especially where you have to use them all the time (in a restaurant).