Canning Salsa Without Cooking It

Can I can salsa without cooking it? Can I boil my jars and have them hot and pour my salsa in them? Will it keep?

By MVincent

No. It will go sour. You can freeze it without boiling it but if you put it in jars you need to boil it in the jars.

No! It would not be safe. Pour it into the sterilized jars then use a cold water bath canner to process. Get a canning cook book and process the time it says. Since tomatoes have so much acid in them you should not need to can under pressure.

I've canned salsa before, it's been several years, but I distinctly remember using the canning instructions for canning tomatoes, which is basically what salsa is. I remember having good success, even though it didn't taste 'fresh' anymore. It was a good product. Find your local canning instructions, and follow that. Good luck!

Jars of Freshly Canned Salsa
Canning Tomato Salsa
Food and Recipes CanningJune 16, 2011
Homemade Salsa
Salsa Recipes Without Cilantro
Bowl of salsa surrounded by tomatoes.
Mild Salsa Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
A jar of homemade salsa.
Freezing Salsa