Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction

After having a tooth pulled, it is important to follow the dentist's directions to keep the pain to a minimum and to heal as quickly as possible. This guide is about caring for your gums after a tooth extraction.

Going to the dentist was very hard for my kiddos, especially after getting a tooth pulled. They were extremely afraid of the blood after the tooth was extracted.

After going to the dentist, one thing I did was to buy them ice cream. The coldness of the ice cream can minimize the blood flow out from the mouth where the tooth has been extracted. Besides, it is one treat that they are brave enough to go to the dentist for.

Woman Having Tooth Pulled

Following your dentist's instructions is important after a tooth extraction. Make sure you eat foods that will aid in healing. This is a guide about eating after having teeth pulled.

I had my wisdom teeth removed and I have a pocket that has grey-white tissue. Is it dry socket? Is it normal?

You should have your dentist check your gums immediately for any possible problem. Better to address a problem now than find a more difficult and expensive problem later!

!

All healthy gum tissue should be pink.

Please contact your dentist. You do not want to have complications, and no, it is not normal.

Has anyone had gray looking skin where a tooth was extracted rather harshly? I had stitches put in was so bad. They said the front bottom tooth had double roots. But three days later, the gum on one out of six pulled is gray and nasty looking.

The doctor says, without looking at it, "sounds fine come in first thing Monday morning". I am just wondering if I'm the only one who has had the tissue turn gray after having teeth extracted.

By Tabitha

Gargle with salt water to encourage healthy healing after every meal.

Take your vitamins, especially Vitamin C, and gargle also with dilution of hydrogen peroxide for healing. You can also go to the health food store and buy gum therapy drops with myrrh and apply those. Gums SHOULD be pink for health! There may be an infection. Does it hurt? Is it swollen? You may have to ask for antibiotics over the weekend, or at least take golden seal!

I have always been told to rinse with salt water every so often. I can't remember how often anymore because I have had dentures since 1984. But before that, every time I had an extraction I was told to rinse with salt water.

Thanks for all inputs. Gum is swollen, does hurt, have been using salt water, doc closed since Thursday won't open back up till Monday. But, i have apt first thing tomorrow morning so hope it's normal. if not will deff ask for script.

I have had many teeth extracted but never had any problem, my gums are red. The only thing I can think of is you might have dry cell anemia in the gum. I had this once and it was painful. It's where the stitches are trying to heal the cut and an infection is there. But my gum didn't go grey. I went to the doctor as the dentist wouldn't give me antibiotics. He actually told me. I took antibiotics and, presto, no more problems.

My guess would be that it is either bruising or dead tissue. I would think that both of these are normal side effects of a rough extraction.

I just had three teeth removed. In the process of removing a molar a very small piece of a root broke off. The dentist said it would not hurt to leave it where it is. Is this OK?

By Bernard D.

This can happen occasionally. Usually they work out. My husband was having pieces of root work out of his gums for several years after he got his dentures. I have heard of this happening with other people too.

Usually works itself out, but if it gets painful go back to the dentist.

I had an upper molar, 5th tooth from the right, pulled and the dentist forgot to take the whole tooth from top of the gum, a part was left. Eating food made it infected and I have to wait to get it pulled because the dentist isn't available according to the company. They drained the infection. What can I put over the hole so food won't get inside it and hurt it again?

All my teeth have been pulled. How do I clean my gums?

By Jessica

I am assume this extraction process is before dentures. Your dentist should have advised you. Rinse your mouth often as if you have teeth. Warm saline water (not strong salt). You can purchase at the drugstore a product call glyoxide which is used for elderly/ill people needing careful mouth care. Ask your pharmacist for suggestions.

The next step is to swab your mouth clean, like you would an infant, small child. Gentle piece of gauze or thin washcloth, wipe out the mouth. With a baby/child, you would wipe each tooth with the gauze.