Caring for an Orphaned Baby Squirrel

Category Wildlife
tiny grey squirrel
Caring for or finding professional care for orphaned wildlife can be rewarding. This is a guide about caring for an orphaned baby squirrel.

My mother was doing some gardening when she found a squirrels' nest knocked out of a tree on to the garden ground. There was no mother squirrel around, mum made a warm bed of foliage for the little guy while keeping an eye out for mother squirrel. In these photos, my mother is feeding the baby some pet re-hydration formula. The mother squirrel came and picked him up after a week hanging out with us. It was bittersweet to see him go.

If you'd like more information on the proper steps to take care of a found baby squirrel, I found this website pretty helpful: Orphaned Wildlife Care

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
9 months

Your Pet's Breed
Squirrel

How and when did you get your pet?
Two baby squirrels (Chip and Dale) fell from a tree late last fall and my husband and I bottle-fed them and kept them inside over the winter. We just released them back out this week.

They've been outside for over a week now. I was really nervous at first because they both disappeared for a couple days in the beginning. But they are now both back and come hang out with us when we are outside. It's the weirdest cutest thing!

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Eat nuts!

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
They still think I'm their mom. We now have the cutest rodent problem ever!

Comment Like this photo? 9