Saving an Orphaned Baby Squirrel

My mother was doing some gardening when she found a squirrels' nest knocked out of a tree on to the garden ground. There was no mother squirrel around, mum made a warm bed of foliage for the little guy while keeping an eye out for mother squirrel. In these photos, my mother is feeding the baby some pet re-hydration formula. The mother squirrel came and picked him up after a week hanging out with us. It was bittersweet to see him go.

If you'd like more information on the proper steps to take care of a found baby squirrel, I found this website pretty helpful: Orphaned Wildlife Care

1. Photo Description My mother was doing some gardening when she found a squirrels' nest knocked out of a tree on to the garden ground. There was no mother squirrel around, mum made a warm bed of foliage for the little guy while keeping an eye out for mother squirrel. In these photos, my mother is feeding the baby some pet re-hydration formula. The mother squirrel came and picked him up after a week hanging out with us. It was bittersweet to see him go.

If you'd like more information on the proper steps to take care of a found baby squirrel, I found this website pretty helpful: http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/squirrelcare.htm
  2. Advertisement

3. Photo Location Sunnyvale, CA

Aw so sweet, well I took care of two babies. Maybe I shouldn't tell you. But feel as if I should. I took mine to my Vet, well Dr Thorn-hill told me that Squirrels carry mites, fleas and Tapeworms. I was younger then, and it all most broke my heart.

When they grow up they bite if they smell food on your fingers. As mine grew they would hide small objects that I couldn't find. They had piles of tweezers, letters, pens, etc, stored behind the couch. I am all ways happy to see someone as good as you raising the babies of the wilderness. I finally let mine go. I have to say I missed them and hiding my things. I was sad for a while, they gave me such joy.

Squirrels carry fleas, mites, and tapeworms. My Veterinarian told me when he was in Nam they were called Tree Rats. I not telling you this to be rude or mean. They are a joy to have, I raised two at different times they will hide things that come up missing, I would find things behind my couch.

Seeing yours have brought back many a memory of P-nut, that was my first one. What joy and laughter he brought to us all. It was time for breeding and I had to let him go. He came back one time and jumped on my husband's head. He then left and never came back, he was out there though. I was sad, but I knew he was happy.

Adorable!
Nice of you to care for the little guy!

Sweet

That's such a sweet story :-) Mom's helping other Mom's. No matter what kind ;-)

You are such a good person with a kind heart. That baby squirrel wouldn't have made it without you! Kudos to you both!!

Better Living Green Living WildlifeAugust 13, 2015
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-an-Orphaned-Baby-Squirrel.html