Celery Substitute

Celery usually sells in a bunch, but my husband and I can't use that much before it spoils. Instead, I keep cans of water chestnuts in the pantry to use as a substitute. The water chestnuts are moist and crunchy, similar to celery so they work great in stuffing, casseroles and Chinese-wok meals.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Celery Substitute

There is also a leafy plant called "lovage" that works in place of celery. The leaves can be cut very finely or dried and crushed for celery flavor. Use sparingly as it is very strong. I cut and dry the leaves to use all winter till the plant comes back in the spring. You can also use the stalks as straws in Bloody Mary's (I've heard). It can be found at your local greenhouse. It comes back every year and seems to get bigger and bigger. Very little care involved. (09/27/2006)

By Lisa H.

Celery Substitute

what a great idea! We too never use celery before it goes bad. I will have to give this a try.Thanks (09/28/2006)

By phylimac

Celery Substitute
Celery on White Background
Storing Celery
Windowsill Celery Hearts
Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery