Saving Money on Celery

In addition to being a great snack with peanut butter celery is used in many recipes. This is a guide about saving money on celery.

Tips and advice for Saving Money on Celery as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Dice and Freeze Celery

I can never use a whole stalk of celery so I dice it all when I buy it and freeze it in a gallon Zip-Loc bag. Then I can just scoop out what I need. No waste means savings.

By Glenn'sMom

Use It Up

Celery is so cheap, it is easy to let it get all "rubbery" in the fridge and want to buy a fresh package. Instead, make an effort to use it in as many meals as possible. Pretty much anything that you are cooking with onions can have diced celery thrown in too. Celery, onions and carrots are the basis of most French cooking. This is a great way to boost the nutritional content of whatever you are making: ground beef, meatloaf, spaghetti sauce, soups, packaged meals of rice or pasta, etc.

When I was growing up, celery was considered to have no nutritional value at all. I was that the act of chewing a celery stick was using more calories than the celery itself, making it a perfect "diet" food. Now nutritionists know that it supplies iron, potassium, calcium and other essential vitamins.

By Stew

Use It All

Buy the whole stalk and use it all. After washing in water with a little white vinegar, I cut off the root end and very top tips and place in compost pile. The leafs and inner tender stalks are added to salad. The "knots" and lower thick part of stalk are cut for soup. Slice rest in finger size and place in cold in refrig. After about 4 days, those not eaten yet, slice and fry with diced onions to flavor cooked vegetables or meat.

By Dee Bee

Store In Foil

When I get my celery home, I cut the end of the stalk of and the leafy part then I wrap it in foil and place in the crisper. I am amazed at how long it lasts.

By Joyce's Mom

Dehydrate It

I buy a large package of celery at Costco or at a local market 5 bunches/$1. As soon as I get it home, I take at least half and cut it into bite size pieces and dehydrate it. Makes it easy to have celery on hand at all times. Some of the dried I also 'powder' in my Vitamix. Great seasoning all the time!

By Mari

Celery is sold in one price per stalks packages. If you weigh the packages that look best to you, and take the heaviest one, you are getting more for the same price. This is also true of packs of berries and carrots or anything which is sold by the package rather than the pound.

Source: My mother, who used to embarrass me by doing so. Different when I'm paying.

By Jean from Western NY

This guide contains uses for celery leaves. There are a number of ways these leaves can be used for additional flavor.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about reviving limp celery. That once nice crunchy stalk of celery is now limp and unappealing. Luckily there are ways to revive it.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains celery buying tips. It is good to know our vegetables are fresh when we buy them.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about storing celery. Storing celery and keeping it crisp is possible.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes