Storing Celery

Category Storage
Storing celery and keeping it crisp is possible. This is a guide about storing celery.

Sometimes for lunch, I just eat a few celery stalks stuffed with pimento cheese spread. After finishing up this bunch, which was still fresh and crisp, I looked back at my grocery receipt and saw that it had been in the refrigerator for 16 days.

To keep it crisp, I wrap a wet folded paper towel around the bottom of the stalk and secure it with a rubber band. I keep the stalk of celery wrapped in a plastic bag. I change the paper towel and bag when needed.

Now, I'm going to see how long this next bunch will last.

If you unwrap celery when you get home from the store, then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and refrigerate, it will last for several weeks. I always had celery go bad very quickly until I found this out. Now it keeps until it's used.

Source: A friend told me to do this.

By quilterj from Columbus, NE

If you like celery be sure to wrap it up in foil when you put it away in the fridge, it'll last for ever, weeks anyway!

Janet from Bangor ME

Although I do not eat raw celery, I try to always keep it on hand for cooking. Lately I have noticed that another celery option is available in the grocery stores... pre-cut celery stalks.

This guide contains uses for celery leaves. There are a number of ways these leaves can be used for additional flavor.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Celery tends to quickly go limp in the refrigerator. Keep it crisp by rolling it in two sheets of paper towels, then a layer of aluminum foil.

Slip the rolled-up celery back in the plastic bag it came in, then tie with a twist tie.

To keep your celery from going bad after you remove what you need from the stalk, wrap the remaining celery in tinfoil (twist tinfoil ends) and keep it in your refrigerator. It will last a long time

Some prepared vegetables can be stored in cold water to maintain their freshness. This is a guide about keep celery and carrots fresh for weeks.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about freezing celery. Often when we buy celery at the market there are leftovers. Although it will no longer be crisp, celery can be frozen to use in cooking.

I recently read something about keeping celery fresh much longer by wrapping it in foil. What I missed was. Do I take the plastic cover off of it? And do I wash it before wrapping it?

Thanks,
Judy from Birmingham, AL

Answers

I work in produce, the way the store keeps lettuce,celery,and other veggies fresh is to crisp them. When you first get them, trim off the root, let sit for 5min in warm water, put in frig and then everyday we trim off a little bit of more root, and rinse with cold water. or let sit in cold water. But at home i crisp my lettuce when i first get it and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap to let no air in and leave it til i need it, i then only cut root if i use it again and rewrap and my lettuce lasts for around 2 weeks. good luck!

By B.J. from Ky. (Guest Post)

When I buy celery I break the ribs off & wash them real good.Trim the bottom part ,I then wet enough paper towel to wrap around it,put it in a plastic bag in the crisper drawer.It stays crisp & fresh for about two weeks.

By Poco (Guest Post)

I wash and cut up the celery into the sizes I want, then wrap tightly in foil, I put the foil in a plastic bag. The celery has lasted much longer that a few weeks.

By Jos (Guest Post)

I trim and wash celery, dry it and wrap it in a paper towel and then place it in a clean plastic bag. It keeps in the fridge for 3 weeks and is still crisp and good.

By Bonnie (Guest Post)

I tried this and it really did work well. I removed the plastic and wrapped the celery, intact, in aluminum foil and then kept it in the crisper in the bottom of the fridge.

I didn't wash it first, I just pulled off stalks as needed & washed them then. Did keep the celery nice & crisp & fresh for quite some time.

By Marilyn (Guest Post)

Take the celery out of the plastic bag. Sometimes I remove the leaves, sometimes I don't. I don't wash it before wrapping in foil.

By debbie (Guest Post)

tupperware had a container for celery, it was a long rectangular box one with a lid, and had a slitted plastic footed, holder (which held it up from water) which help your celery to keep fresh, water was added to the bottom of container not touching the veg. it keeps it for quite awhile. Hope this helps. keep lid on it in refrigerator

By Allison (Guest Post)

Yes Take out of plastic bag. No need to wash. I have been doing this for years, Can keep up to 5 weeks.

By (Guest Post)

Wash the celery. Slice into sticks. Store in a glass container with water. The celery will remain fresh and crisp.

My mother used to do this with celery and carrots so that we had healthy snacks always at the ready.

I read in your newsletter about wrapping celery in foil to keep it crisp. Thanks for the tip. I have a question though, I have read elsewhere about cutting the celery. Do I need to cut the bottom off the bunch of celery before I wrap it? Thanks.

Darlene in Mississauga

Answers

By annie. (Guest Post)

I found that if you don't cut the celery at all it will last longer. I've trimmed washed and cut and it only lasted short of a week.
When I just wrapped it - it lasted over two weeks.

I always soak my celery in water and a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide. I take the stalks apart, clean well, and cut them in convient lengths. Then let air dry on a towel, or help the drying along with the towel and wrap the simular sizes together in alum foil. Usually have 5 or 6 wrapped bundels from one celery package. and I only take one small package out of refrigator when I need celery. As long as it is good and dry when I wrap it lasts a long time. I used some yesterday that I bought 3 weeks ago. Joy @ www.aloetherapy.com

By Kathywow (Guest Post)

Thank you this will help. I have a guinea pig and she loves carrots and celery and the celery was going limp before she would eat it all.
Thanks for the help.

By David (Guest Post)

I watched a cooking show, and they said to always cut celery on an angle, and the celery will stay crisp when cooking.

By Marta (Guest Post)

You can always refresh it in a glass of ice water.

I wrap the whole stalk of celery in paper towel and place it in those green bags. I swear by these bags. I use them for all my veggies and the brown ones for my bread.

What is the best way to store cut pieces of celery in the refrigerator?

I have two celery bags that I can store the stalks in, however after awhile they still go limp? What can I do about this?

By Kent

What is the secret to keeping celery fresh to the last stalk? We (my spouse and I) found out that eating celery every day seems to help with lowering blood pressure. Our only problem is keeping it nice and crisp to the last stalk.

By Kathryen from northern Virginia, VA

Answers

Dry the stalk of celery well. Wrap it completely in aluminum foil, molding the foil to the celery as tightly as possible. Each time you use some celery, just re-wrap the rest in the foil and put back into the refrigerator. I have kept a stalk of celery fresh for as long as 3-4 weeks using this method.

Paper Towel and Aluminum Foil

Take the plastic sleeve off the celery stalk and wrap in paper towel and wrap alum foil tightly around the stalk, every time you remove some of the ribs-rewrap with the paper towel and alum foil, you will be surprise how long the celery will remain fresh and usable

By Rita Purvis

Keeping Celery Fresh

To prevent celery from going bad or getting stale in the refrigerator wrap the celery in aluminum foil. Place it back in the refrigerator and It will stay fresh for weeks.

By Zelma Bieard Ragsdale

Keeping Celery Crisp

To keep celery crisp, stand it upright in a pitcher of cold, salted water and refrigerate.

By Peggy

By ThriftyFun

Keeping Celery Crisp

I came across this accidentally. I bought celery and forgot I already had some. When buying celery I always put it in the plastic bags in the store that require twist ties. It was nearly 3 weeks before I got to my 'new' celery and it was as crisp and fresh looking as when I just bought it. Now I always leave my celery in the bag and after taking out what I want I close it with the twist tie. I think the lack of air helps to keep it fresh.

By Karen Lawrence

Keeping Celery Crisp

Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep much longer!

By Bobbie Gillette

Keeping Celery Crisp

Wash celery well under running water, being careful to rinse the inside as well. Stand upside down and drain completely, then put in a clean breadsack loosely in the fridge. It will last a long time.)

By Aunt Sharon from Texas

Celery will keep for weeks if it's tightly wrapped in aluminum foil. Wash it and dry it as soon as you get it home from the store, then seal the stalk in foil. You'll be surprised at how long it'll last!

By julie from SE Minnesota

Answers:

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I store my bunch of celery in the green bags, clipped closed with a clothespin and I wrap the bunch of celery in paper towel(s) to keep it from sweating on inside of bag. I love the green bags! Saved me a lot of veggies. (04/01/2010)

By Poca

Extend the life and quality of celery by wrapping tightly in foil before placing it in the crisper of your refrigerator. It lasts for a very long time.

By TxTiket2Ride2 from Fort Worth, TX

Answers:

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

I have been doing this ever since I read about it about 2 year ago and it definitely works. (09/04/2009)

By Betty LaVergne

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Aluminum foil also works well for lettuce - try it and see! (09/05/2009)

By anne

Store Your Celery in Aluminum Foil

Beware! Did you know that aluminum has been associated with Alzheimer's disease? It's possibly not a good idea to store your food in it if you are concerned. (09/21/2009)

By merry woods

You can buy one or two stalks of celery, use what you need at the time but cut the rest into about 4 inch pieces and wrap bunches of it tightly in aluminum foil.

I have learned that if you fully wrap your bunch of celery (unwashed and uncut with the twist tie removed) in foil and store it in the fridge it will last longer.

If you wash and dry your celery, then wrap it in tin foil. It will last twice as long. Don't laugh, it really works. I didn't believe it either until I tried it and, believe me, it really does work.