Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Child Support and SSDI Lump Sum Back Payment

My ex-husband (the non-custodial parent) was recently approved to receive SSDI. Our son will receive a lump-sum payment and monthly payments. My ex has filed a petition not only to stop paying child support, but also to force me to turn over our son's lump-sum payment to him, stating that the lump-sum is meant to repay him for child support he paid during the SSDI application period.

I'm hiring an attorney. Does anyone know of a similar case? If so, what was the outcome? Thank you very much.

By Rachel

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cybergrannie [30]11/26/2013

If you can afford to pay an attorney then you should try to find one that specializes in this type of case. Every case is different as well as state laws so you may wish to check as many places as possible (SS office, child support offices, etc).

According to your income, you may be able to get free legal services for something like this. Be sure to keep copies of all communication concerning this matter.

By redhatterb [1]11/24/2013

Talk to your local Social Security Office and you local Office of Child Support Enforcement. My opinion is that you shouldn't need an attorney, once the Office of Child Support Enforcement is involved.