Back Child Support and Survivors Benefits

I am owed over $17,000.00 in back child support from a mother who gets official mental disability and benefits from SS administration. She is also receiving 1400.00 a month for her 3 year old because the man she lived with died; it's call survivors benefits. Can I get back child support from her disability payments and her survivors benefits?


And no, the man who died is not the parent of the child. The benefits are paid to her because she was living in same house but a different room. She gets 2000+ a month and I want my support arrears. Can I get those from the SS office?

By Mike W

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 31, 20140 found this helpful
Best Answer

Call your local Social Security Office and talk to them. As far as the mother of your child collecting money from different sources, that isn't so unusual. I have a friend that collects a quite large some in disability from the state that she lived in when she got injured on the job, more than 20 years ago. She moved back to her home state because she couldn't afford to live in the state where she was injured on what she was drawing. She is still collecting that money, plus US Government disability/ plus retirement Social Security, and drawing off her ex husbands retirement social security. At the time she moved back here she was getting $1,000 a month from the state where she was injured and I'm sure it has increased a fair amount over the years.


That being said you have to talk to the Social Security Office to get the right answer to your question.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 3, 20140 found this helpful

Call the SS office and ask, but I think SS benefits can be collected from. However, you can get a judgement against her and take her personal belongings or if she owns a house or car. You need to see a lawyer for advice. The child is grown by now so I doubt you will have much luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportJuly 31, 2014
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Valentine's Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/02/11 22:43:02 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!