Chirping Smoke Detector System

We have hard wired smoke detectors. Last night one of them started chirping and today we installed a new one. It is still chirping and it even chirps when the unit is not wired in the ceiling, what's up with that? It is making us crazy!

By Jan from Vancouver, WA

Answers:

Chirping Smoke Detector System

When ours chirps it's because it needs a new battery. (08/24/2010)

By Junk02915

Chirping Smoke Detector System

Even thought they are hard wired I believe they have a battery for backup in case the electricity goes out. The battery probably needs replacing. (08/25/2010)

By Merlene

Chirping Smoke Detector System

This won't help your situation, but maybe give you a laugh. We kept hearing the chirping and changed the battery. Shortly after, chirping again. So I bought a new smoke detector. Shortly after, chirping again. Finally we realized it was the carbon dioxide detector that was clambering for a new battery.

Pat (08/25/2010)

By desertgal

Chirping Smoke Detector System

It just happened to me, my hard-wired smoke detectors were all chirping. I went through, turning off stuff, and resetting the alarms. Still chirping, next bright idea, I bought new batteries, changed them one at a time, but that didn't work for long. Next, I turned off the circuit breaker, took them all down, took out the battery,and let them sit disconnected overnight. There must be an internal battery, so disconnecting would let it discharge, as in the case of fire, the house current would trip a breaker, the backup battery might explode, so an internal battery would keep the warning going. This morning, I went and put the batteries back in, and reinstalled the alarms, silence now, success (I thought). Chirping later told me I forgot to turn the breaker back on, so I am doing it all over again, hoping this would work, and save a trip out by the fire dept or an electrician. (10/01/2010)

By cdiman7

Electric Smoke Detector
Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
🎉
🎄