Chlorine Bleach Alternatives for Laundry

Category Laundry
Keeping laundry white can be a challenge without the use of bleach. This guide contains chlorine bleach alternatives for laundry.

When washing whites, use borax rather than bleach to whiten. Bleach can cause yellowing if used a great deal and will eat holes in your clothes after a number of uses. I find borax is a better whitening agent for the fabrics I wear.

By Walker

Will using Borax on a black rayon dress cause the black to fade?

What can I use in a laundry load (besides bleach) to disinfect colored clothing after a child has been ill and has soiled underclothing and bedding?

By SLL from MO

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Borax, you should be able to find it (powdered) in the laundry section of your store.

I'd use borax too. Maybe wash twice, with hot water, or if not hot water, twice on longest cycle, and dryer dry. I forgot; since it's summer, hang the garments/bedding in hot sun. Sun plus ozone from the atmosphere is a great disinfectant.

I've used Dettol for disinfecting loads of colored laundry.

White vinegar is a disinfectant. Just pour some in where your fabric softener would normally go. The vinegar smell will go away when the clothing is dried in the dryer. Hotels even use vinegar for cleaning purposes. It is an economical disinfectant.

Anonymous

Ditto on the distilled vinegar.

In my opinion, hot water and detergent are all you really need clean your household laundry. With this last go round with the H1N1 virus, it was found that regular handwashing with soap and water was the single most effective thing to do to prevent the spread of germs. If hot water and soap will clean your hands, hot water and detergent will do for your laundry!

Heat kills germs. Hot water,detergent and a dryer set on hot is all you need. Medical instruments are sterilized by HEAT. Don't need any thing fancy. Hope this helps.

I buy a 40 oz. bottle of Pine Glo from Dollar Tree to use as a disinfectant/cleaner. Just pour about 1/4 - 1/2 cup in with original wash cycle along with detergent. Cheap and effective. This stuff lasts a long time and very cheap. Hope this helps. Connie

I have tried using hydrogen peroxide as a non-chlorine bleach. But my whites were not as white as I thought they would be. What else can I try?

By Glenda from Arlington, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 8
Anonymous

There are some answers in the archives below ;-) I will also add that other things I've learned since then by reading various ThriftyFun posts is drying whites on the line in the sunshine and using Oxiclean. Hope this helps :-)

My whites were getting very dingy I was using chlorine bleach and I used 20 Mule Team Borax 1/2 cup in a large load made a huge difference and it is $3.00 for a 4lb box.

For years people have used Mrs. Stewart's bluing to make whites look whiter. I have just recently started using it & it does seem to help. BJ