Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand

We have all been there, standing in a store aisle comparing the name brand product to a generic, usually less expensive, version. This is a guide about hoosing between generic and name brand.

May 27, 2011 Flag
My Frugal LifeMy husband insists on buying name brand foods, etc. He thinks the generic brand of food is "nasty tasting". I can agree with him on a few items (very few), but I am a penny-pincher!

I have learned a few secrets from being a cook's assistant at a couple restaurants, and I brought them home to try out on my husband. (Sad but true that many restaurants do just what I am about to tell you).

I buy a bottle of name-brand ketchup to put in the fridge and a couple of store brand bottles to stash in the cabinets. When the one in the fridge is about empty, I fill it up with the store brand. I rarely have to purchase name brand items this way. I just keep refilling with the store brand. No one seems to notice!

Ketchup is just one example. I do the same with flour, salt, sugar, mustard, mayonnaise, etc. I also add a few instant potatoes to my mashed potatoes, and no one ever knows the difference.

I will admit that there are items we buy that cannot be generic. Almost everyone will agree that toilet tissue and coffee are two such items. But, I buy the cheaper toilet paper and put it out for when guests are here - stashing the good stuff for my husband and me! I know this seems a little mean, but it is just how I do things.

In this day and age when prices are sky-rocketing, and yet you live with a picky person, you have to figure out ways to save.

By AuntieAnn from USA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Well I must be lucky because I do not have to resort to tricks to get my family to consume other products besides "name brand". As long as it tastes good, they eat it! :-)

It's really ironic that I have found better tasting condiments at the dollar store (the Dollar Tree in this instance)! There was an obscure brand of ketchup that was tastier than Heinz & they have wonderful sweet pickles (made in India?) My husband used to hate dollar stores, as he said that having to go to one was depressing. I said; Why? It's just being smart. And now he picks up all sorts of things in the dollar store, too & reminds me "to buy the cheap allergy pills" (for $1) And I discovered asleep formulation they carry which is better than some costing 6X-8X as much! Go figure.

Lemon crystals and a tiny bit of sugar does wonders for vegetables. Should be able to taste a difference, but not the ingredients added.

August 21, 2011 Flag

I like to clip coupons for products I use regularly. I've noticed that even with a coupon, the name brand item may still be more expensive than the generic store brand. It always pays to compare prices on name brand items minus the the coupon versus the generic store brand.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

I'm finding the same thing. Coupons, while it's an incentive, most likely the item costs more than store brands.

February 27, 2011 Flag

Do you buy WalMart generic (Great Value) products? Have you found that's just as good as name brands? I just tried their peanut butter and found it to be just as good as the major brands. Some things I've been reluctant to try, but being the economy the way it is I'm having to really stretch my dollars.

By Betty

I find most of the WalMart brand items are good. One thing to watch out for though. The popular Great Value items are sometimes priced higher than the brand name items. They are counting on you just grabbing the brand and not looking at the price. A WalMart cashier told me about this and I've found it to be true when I started looking.

The only generic brand I consistently do not like is Always Save, but Wal-Mart does not carry that. If you are near an Aldi store, they have great prices on most things and almost all their food is wonderful. I don't particularly care for their mayonnaise and their milk has started getting fat deposits near the lid. It wouldn't bother me, but when a teenage boy opens it, it becomes a "yuk" factor for him. It is wise to look at their prices as there are a couple of things one can get cheaper at Wal-Mart (eg., pistachio nuts). Good luck.

Many stores offer a "store brand as good as name brand" guarantee. They will give you your moner back if you dislike their store brand. Not sure if Walmart does-ask them. I know Costco, and Trader Joes will do so.

May 13, 2011 Flag

This is a question that is often asked and debated. Not all generic brands are created equal and not all name brands stand up to the hype. Share which generic brands you use and which name brands you can't live without.

No name brand vegetable juice cocktail has a way more taste then Campbell's V8 juice, and is half the price.

I have just a few products that I only buy name brand. They are Q-tips, Crest toothpaste, All Free Clear, Kiss My Face deodorant and Cottonelle/Northern t.p. Otherwise, I stock up on pantry staples at Ali and shop at Kroger where I use generic brand unless I have a coupon which is doubled. I haven't found a generic that doesn't turn out as well as name brand. I save a lot of money and feed two growing teenage boys, my husband and myself for $500 a month.

For me, brand-name products are usually more effective than generics but of course this high quality drugs comes also with high cost and because of this reason, more consumers prefer to use generics since these are relatively cheaper than the brand-name products. But with today's recent news, that reason will be deleted since a growing list of brand-name prescription drugs will become less expensive as the patents for the drugs lapse. Some of the best-selling drugs on the market are integrated, so Big Pharma's loss will be the public's gain. I read this here: Brand name medications to get cheaper as patents expire.

March 4, 2009 Flag

When my 3 boys hit puberty, they wanted name brand hair products. I bought one bottle and as it emptied, I added about 1/4 cup Dawn regular dish detergent and then filled with water. It thickens and I never bought another bottle of expensive shampoo again. Inexpensive shampoos and conditioners, like the Suave brand at Walmart, can have water added to them and they thicken and work very well.

Also I took the labels off the Walmart clothes I bought them and put them in old "acceptable" store bags. They never suspected.

Source: Many people know this and many don't. I have been a frugal mom for nearly 40 years.

By Jeanne from Elysian Fields, TX

A good friend has a good and honest way of dealing with picky kids. She figures (by looking at ads and in stores)what each needed item should cost and what she is willing to pay. She tells her picky kid she'll contribute that amount ONLY and he/she can pay the rest if name brand is the only thing that will do. When they are faced with the prospect of only 1 pair of name brand jeans as opposed to 5 pairs of "Mom Select" jeans they often come down from the pedistile. The same can be done with shampoos, etc. They won't DIE if they can't have everything they WANT!

Clever you! We moms/ g-moms can be tricky when we know it's best for them and for our budget. If you get caught doing this and get complaints, you might want to say, "Well, I've been thinking that it's time you bought your own clothes." See how they like the idea better? "Boys, there's only so much money in the jar. I'd like to be able to buy fancier things for us all, but God gave me the wisdom to spend more wisely and I do. Take it up with Him." lol : )

I used to buy my daughter name brand clothing from department stores, but since I found Ross and Marshall's,& TJ Maxx, I never set foot in one of those expensive stores. My daughter is not terribly picky, and she loves the clothes from Ross. The only thing name brand that she likes is handbags, and I find them for less than half the amount they cost in a pricey dept. store at one of the stores listed above. I buy thrift store clothing for myself, and she is not opposed to it, but I do buy her new clothing before school starts and at Christmas. She doesn't get them any other time unless it's an emergency.

June 9, 2008 Flag

I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the generic Zyrtec. My husband does real well on Zyrtec, the allergy medicine. Well we tried to save a little money and bought the Walmart brand equate, there are some differences in the ingredients but we didn't think a lot.

February 20, 2006 Flag

Does everyone know that there are generic heartworm pills? Just ask your vet and you will be very pleased with the price difference between generic and name brand...

June 16, 2014 Flag

Del Monte is the producer of Great Value canned fruit, I worked for a trucking comapny that hauled it, and it comes for various DelMonte plants around the country but, a lot is from California.

October 6, 2005 Flag

A generic just became available for the brand name Allegra. The generic name is Fexofenadine and it comes in the 30mg, 60mg and 180mg.

March 4, 2010 Flag

Which one works better, generic versus store brand bleach?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 4, 2009 Flag

At least once a month, name brand stuff is on sale. I buy brand name products like; dish liquid, laundry soap, cereal; then I mix it with my generic. I put 3/4 of generic and 1/4 of brand name.

Consumer Advice ShoppingMarch 12, 2013
An office with modern interior design.
Brand Name Ideas for Interior Design Products
Coffee Cup
Buying Kroger's Brand Coffee
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
Choosing Baby Names
Choosing a Baby Name