Cleaning Auto Glass

Right up there with windows, cleaning auto glass is a necessary, if not particularly fun project. This is a guide about cleaning auto glass.

May 31, 2005 Flag

Tips for cleaning a car or trucks windows. Post your ideas.

Don't use paper towels when cleaning car windows, Use newspaper. The shine is so much better.

By Matt

The #1 thing I recomend to anyone cleaning car, truck or house windows is absolutely do it in the shade, and be sure to completely dry the glass, anything left behind WILL streak!

i've heard using coffee filters works to get those pesty stuck on bugs off.....also i've heard maxi pads work good too

get some simonize professional window cleaning. i worked at a carwash and thats what they used work real great and does not streak windows.

The best thing to use for cleaning windows is vinager and water to get the best shine

Most of the trouble people have with there windows has come from the cleaners they use. You should never use a cleaner with ammonia, it will damage plastic. I don't use anything with silicone in it either. If you do and use your wipers you will end up with a streaking window film in the wiper travel . This can be very bad at night or in a snow storm.

I only will use vinegar and water with a soft cotton cloth. You will end up with a 100% good job.Use one cup of vinegar to a gallon of water.

If you have streaking on the window after cleaning will then some one at some time or another put some sort of wax or silicone window treatment on it.

To remove this use a soft scrub tub and tile cleaner, (EG: Tilex or Comet,) on GLASS! If it is plastic use regular colgate toothpaste!

The only other thing I recommend is that if there was any window treatment on the window. Eg: Rain-x, after cleaning the window with soft scrub, install a new set of wipers because these too are probably contaminated as well from the treatment.

Thank You

My son lives on the island of Oahu. His car windows have a soapy like look. They appear to have soap like streaks embedded on them. I tried to wash the car windows with different professional glass cleaners, some cleaners with white vinegar, and a cleaning abrasive. Nothing seems to work. I was told by a car repairer that this situation is common in Hawaii. He assumed that it may be caused by the hard water. Is there a method or product that will remove these soapy like streaks and markings from the windows?

Another great product I'd like to recommend is the Windshield Wonder. Saves me a ton of time and back ache. I love it!

http://www.harrietcarter.com/featured-products/windshield-wonder/

January 27, 2006 Flag

I was reading the post about the person who was trying to get wax build up off the outside of their car window. That made me wonder this... what on earth can I use on the inside of my car windows to get them clean and streak free? They don't seem too bad until the sunlight glares off of them and then I can hardly see out them.

Tonya from Tyler, Texas

Thanks for the tips. I don't smoke or allow smoking in my car so I know that's not it. I had wondered if the oils and stuff from outside the car get sucked in like through the a/c vents. I always run my a/c. I think I have one of those microfiber cloths. Maybe I'll combine that with the alcohol. LOL Hey - as long as it's not lethal, right? Thanks again.

Tonya

When I clean the insides of car windows, I use a window cleaner and old newpaper. My Dad taught me this trick. You'd be surprised what a nice job it will do!

About the only thing I've found so far, is an old window cleaner spray bottle full of water with a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar and another couple of ammonia. Spray the window and then I've tried the new streak free Bounty towels. I never tried the alcohol, but think I will!! Good luck.

Just a reminder: If you had your car windows tinted like we have, you are only able to use water and a little vinegar.

Other products damage the tint we were told by the installer.

I have found that using Dawn dishwashing liquid, as you would for your dishes, works as well as anything. I am a smoker, and this seems to cut through the smoke and oily build-up. I just fill a pail, and use a cloth to wipe the window, then dry with a dry cloth.

Use vinegar and water, and the very best thing to use to wipe them clean is NEWSPAPER. I use to do New Home Construction cleaning, and this is all I ever used. A great way to use up recycled newspaper. Trust me.

First clean with vinegar and water, then go over again with Windex or ammonia-based cleaner. The reaction of the two will dissolve the oily film and vinegar smell. Paper towels are more convenient than newspaper if you want to avoid black finger marks all over the place.

I do believe the inside of the windshield gets oily because of what you use to clean your dash..I think the sun draws the greasy film off the dash to the windshield. so I just clean my dash with the shamois after I dry mr truck (its damp). I also find surgical rags work great and they are lint free. You can get the surgical rags off the internet. I just bought 6 dozen for $20.00. Hope this helps. Robert

all of that works great - but just go and buy Eagle 1 windows cleaner at an auto parts its just about $4.00 a bottle and all you do is spray and wipe - ONCE - no streaks

I use diluted vinagar and old news papers. the news paper dose not leave ink streaks ink is made out of soy now a days. Also the vinagar cuts thru any grease or oils, and does not leave any ordor.

The one thing I found in paper towels there are glues and oils and tons of lint left on the window .

I always use vinagar and baking powder as all natural cleaners esp since we have house rabbits.

September 1, 2008 Flag

Easy removal of road grime from automobile glass. Before washing auto, wet the window glass and let most of the water run off. Sprinkle powdered whiting (found in paint dept.) and scrub window with a plastic type kitchen sponge. xes...)

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoAugust 1, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
🎉
🎄