Cleaning Auto Glass

Right up there with windows, cleaning auto glass is a necessary, if not particularly fun project. This is a guide about cleaning auto glass.

May 31, 2005 Flag

Tips for cleaning a car or trucks windows. Post your ideas.

get some simonize professional window cleaning. i worked at a carwash and thats what they used work real great and does not streak windows.

The best thing to use for cleaning windows is vinager and water to get the best shine

Most of the trouble people have with there windows has come from the cleaners they use. You should never use a cleaner with ammonia, it will damage plastic. I don't use anything with silicone in it either. If you do and use your wipers you will end up with a streaking window film in the wiper travel . This can be very bad at night or in a snow storm.

I only will use vinegar and water with a soft cotton cloth. You will end up with a 100% good job.Use one cup of vinegar to a gallon of water.

If you have streaking on the window after cleaning will then some one at some time or another put some sort of wax or silicone window treatment on it.

To remove this use a soft scrub tub and tile cleaner, (EG: Tilex or Comet,) on GLASS! If it is plastic use regular colgate toothpaste!

The only other thing I recommend is that if there was any window treatment on the window. Eg: Rain-x, after cleaning the window with soft scrub, install a new set of wipers because these too are probably contaminated as well from the treatment.

Thank You

My son lives on the island of Oahu. His car windows have a soapy like look. They appear to have soap like streaks embedded on them. I tried to wash the car windows with different professional glass cleaners, some cleaners with white vinegar, and a cleaning abrasive. Nothing seems to work. I was told by a car repairer that this situation is common in Hawaii. He assumed that it may be caused by the hard water. Is there a method or product that will remove these soapy like streaks and markings from the windows?

January 27, 2006 Flag

I was reading the post about the person who was trying to get wax build up off the outside of their car window. That made me wonder this... what on earth can I use on the inside of my car windows to get them clean and streak free? They don't seem too bad until the sunlight glares off of them and then I can hardly see out them.

Tonya from Tyler, Texas

First clean with vinegar and water, then go over again with Windex or ammonia-based cleaner. The reaction of the two will dissolve the oily film and vinegar smell. Paper towels are more convenient than newspaper if you want to avoid black finger marks all over the place.

I do believe the inside of the windshield gets oily because of what you use to clean your dash..I think the sun draws the greasy film off the dash to the windshield. so I just clean my dash with the shamois after I dry mr truck (its damp). I also find surgical rags work great and they are lint free. You can get the surgical rags off the internet. I just bought 6 dozen for $20.00. Hope this helps. Robert

all of that works great - but just go and buy Eagle 1 windows cleaner at an auto parts its just about $4.00 a bottle and all you do is spray and wipe - ONCE - no streaks

I use diluted vinagar and old news papers. the news paper dose not leave ink streaks ink is made out of soy now a days. Also the vinagar cuts thru any grease or oils, and does not leave any ordor.

The one thing I found in paper towels there are glues and oils and tons of lint left on the window .

I always use vinagar and baking powder as all natural cleaners esp since we have house rabbits.

September 1, 2008 Flag

Easy removal of road grime from automobile glass. Before washing auto, wet the window glass and let most of the water run off. Sprinkle powdered whiting (found in paint dept.) and scrub window with a plastic type kitchen sponge. xes...)

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoAugust 1, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft