Cleaning Auto Glass

Right up there with windows, cleaning auto glass is a necessary, if not particularly fun project. This is a guide about cleaning auto glass.

May 31, 2005 Flag

Tips for cleaning a car or trucks windows. Post your ideas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 8 Comments

September 1, 2008 Flag

Easy removal of road grime from automobile glass. Before washing auto, wet the window glass and let most of the water run off. Sprinkle powdered whiting (found in paint dept.) and scrub window with a plastic type kitchen sponge. Leave the powder to dry, now clean all the windows. As you begin to wash the auto, the soap suds will remove the whiting and the glass will be clean. (Whiting is a super fine polish compound; it will not harm glass; but will leave a white powdered residue if you don't wash it off, the same as the old auto waxes.)

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2006 Flag

I was reading the post about the person who was trying to get wax build up off the outside of their car window. That made me wonder this... what on earth can I use on the inside of my car windows to get them clean and streak free? They don't seem too bad until the sunlight glares off of them and then I can hardly see out them.

Tonya from Tyler, Texas

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thanks for the tips. I don't smoke or allow smoking in my car so I know that's not it. I had wondered if the oils and stuff from outside the car get sucked in like through the a/c vents. I always run my a/c. I think I have one of those microfiber cloths. Maybe I'll combine that with the alcohol. LOL Hey - as long as it's not lethal, right? Thanks again.

Tonya

When I clean the insides of car windows, I use a window cleaner and old newpaper. My Dad taught me this trick. You'd be surprised what a nice job it will do!

About the only thing I've found so far, is an old window cleaner spray bottle full of water with a couple of tablespoons of white vinegar and another couple of ammonia. Spray the window and then I've tried the new streak free Bounty towels. I never tried the alcohol, but think I will!! Good luck.

Just a reminder: If you had your car windows tinted like we have, you are only able to use water and a little vinegar.

Other products damage the tint we were told by the installer.

I have found that using Dawn dishwashing liquid, as you would for your dishes, works as well as anything. I am a smoker, and this seems to cut through the smoke and oily build-up. I just fill a pail, and use a cloth to wipe the window, then dry with a dry cloth.

Use vinegar and water, and the very best thing to use to wipe them clean is NEWSPAPER. I use to do New Home Construction cleaning, and this is all I ever used. A great way to use up recycled newspaper. Trust me.

First clean with vinegar and water, then go over again with Windex or ammonia-based cleaner. The reaction of the two will dissolve the oily film and vinegar smell. Paper towels are more convenient than newspaper if you want to avoid black finger marks all over the place.

I do believe the inside of the windshield gets oily because of what you use to clean your dash..I think the sun draws the greasy film off the dash to the windshield. so I just clean my dash with the shamois after I dry mr truck (its damp). I also find surgical rags work great and they are lint free. You can get the surgical rags off the internet. I just bought 6 dozen for $20.00. Hope this helps. Robert

all of that works great - but just go and buy Eagle 1 windows cleaner at an auto parts its just about $4.00 a bottle and all you do is spray and wipe - ONCE - no streaks

I use diluted vinagar and old news papers. the news paper dose not leave ink streaks ink is made out of soy now a days. Also the vinagar cuts thru any grease or oils, and does not leave any ordor.

The one thing I found in paper towels there are glues and oils and tons of lint left on the window .

I always use vinagar and baking powder as all natural cleaners esp since we have house rabbits.

Home and Garden Cleaning AutoAugust 1, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 11:39:34 AM on 10.0.0.82 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.