Cleaning Burn Marks Off a Glass Top Stove

Well, I was making jelly and left the room for a minute. Wrong idea. The sugar and contents boiled over on ceramic cooktop. Well we know we can't turn that heat down very quickly, so did the best I could with the mess. Trying not to burn myself I mopped it up with towels and whatever I could grab.

Well that was several months ago. I have cleaned and tried to carefully scrape with a razor blade. I am not just using it again, but there is still a ring of the baked on mess. I've used all the ceramic cleaners I can think of. Anyone else ever done this dumb thing and have a suggestion?

By Nancy

Answers:

Try EZ Off Cooktop Cleaner or Wellman's. Use according to manufacturer's instructions. If the residue isn't completely removed, you can also use one of those thin, green Scotch Brite pads and gently scrub it off. Using the Wellman's and the pad worked great but required plenty of elbow grease. The EZ Off may work better and require less work. (01/19/2010)

By tekiebelu

I did the same thing making fudge. But mine is embedded in the surface itself. I cannot get the one burner clean. It is like it bubbled up the glass top so I am stuck with it looking like that I guess. Have you really looked yours over? I read in my book if you spill sugar based things, it could ruin your cooktop. It certainly has ruined mine. (01/21/2010)

By Laniegirl

LOL, I've tried all of the suggestions except the Magic Eraser guy. No it is not bubbled up (the surface) but the big ring of crust is still there. I've used every cleaner I can buy, razor blades, and on and on. So I guess I'll just start cooking on it. It does not leave anything on the bottom of my pans. Thank goodness my cooktop is black. Thanks to all (01/22/2010)

By Granny1936

Can you feel the ring when you run your hand across the cool surface? If not, then you have probably removed all you can hope to get off. If you can feel a difference, look carefully to see if it is raised or pitted. When I did this on my stove, the high temps the sugar went to actually pitted the surface. If it is still a raised deposit, I'd keep at it with the razor, stovetop cleaner (or baking soda or Barkeeper's Friend) and elbow grease :) a little every day. I have also noticed that most of these black-surfaced stoves have some kind of a white dot pattern, and sometimes that burns(?) off and makes it look like a dark spot.

I used my stove with the pitted burner for a long time, and when the surface finally cracked, it was in the middle of a different burner, one that I'd been running long hours at high setting with canning. It seems to be recommended to not do much canning on this type of stove. I'm considering getting a gas turkey fryer stand for canning, and using it outdoors to keep the house cool. (01/22/2010)

By Contester

I got my mess up with a generic Mr. Eraser sponge that I got at the Dollar General store and those generic ones work well as well as name brand. It will come off. Good luck. (01/22/2010)

By meoowmom

Depending on the type of smooth top you have, you may not be able to fix it now. Sugar damages the type I have, and like others have stated, short of replacing the top, I just have to live with it. (01/24/2010)

By susanmajp

I have a white one that stains every single time it's used. It looks very nice, but sure gets cleaned a whole lot. I use a ceramic stove top cleaner. One brand is Carbona. There are others that work well. Sometimes just a nylon scrubbing pad works depending on how long I used the burner. These cooktops are much more delicate than gas or regular electric. (01/30/2010)

By Stngray

Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Hand holding orange sponge cleaning glass stove top
Homemade Cleaner for Glass Top Stove
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
🎄