Cleaning Chrome

Whether on a fixture, appliance, bike or auto this metal always looks best when its sparkling clean. This guide is about cleaning chrome.

March 18, 2010 Flag

How can I preserve and clean up chrome?

By Isewlate from Wilkes-Barre, PA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Squirt five or six drops of dish washing detergent into a bucket. Fill the bucket with a half-gallon of water. Swish the detergent around to make a sudsy solution.

Dip a soft cloth into the bucket, wring it out, and wash the chrome. This will remove loose dirt and grime than can scratch the metal when you polish it. Rinse the cloth as it becomes soiled. Good luck.

Best Answer

Borax, borax, borax. I can't say it enough. I use this for prepping my car for shows, its natural eco friendly, a natural mold killer. It is not abrasive mix with water if it is needed for fine detail. Works on the rims of my Miata to the side chrome on my 57 Chevy. I use it to clean laundry and rid the convertible of mold issues. Its cheap too and can be found in the laundry section almost everywhere.

One thought is to go to an auto parts store and look over their offering of car care products. They usually have chrome cleaners.

I am not sure if you're talking about chrome for household fixtures or a car but either way all you have to do is keep them clean and/or wiped down with a rag.

March 16, 2006 Flag

When cleaning the chrome rings around your burners the easiest way I have found is to put them in a shallow pan with 4 tablespoons of powdered DISHWASHER soap in it. Barely cover in the water and let them sit overnight. By morning, they should wash easily.

Hugs Da Nanna

By Laurie from Idaho

Does anyone know if this works for the black burners too, instead of the chrome? If not, does anyone know how to get them really clean without taking the finish off?

I tried ammonia diluted with water on burner rings. It was'nt effective. Should I use full strenth without water?

I tried "Soft scrub". It is very good.

Ammonia is an effective cleaner for chrome burner rings from your stove. Remove the rings from the stove. Place a paper towel that has been dampened with ammonia on top of each ring and put them in a plastic bag. Tie the plastic bag and let it sit overnight. The next day, carefully open the bag outside and and remove the rings. Then wash the rings with a mild dishwashing soap, like Dawn. Make sure to use ammonia in a well ventilated area.

I found it to be effective soaking them overnite in a sink full

of water with spic and span, and a squirt of dawn dish soap, for

extra measure I added some dishwasher soap. Next morning they

were easily cleaned.

I bought the black porcelain ones fairly cheap, and they hide the stains much better! Plus they are much easier to clean.

I clean mine by spraying them with oven cleaner (usually bought at the dollar store) and letting them sit for about 15 minutes...after that they wipe clean very easily. If something sticks I use an SOS pad (I also cut these in halves or thirds to save $$$) and in no time they are clean as new :o)

I always spray mine with oven cleaner and let them set overnite then I take an sos pad and wipe them clean and rinse with hot water, works very well, all the mess and burnt are gone and they look like new.

Try soaking them overnight in white vinegar.

February 18, 2010 Flag

What do I use to get water stains (not lime build-up) off tub faucets and shower head?

By Joyce from Beloit, WI

Best Answer

My mom always used rubbing alchohol.

CLR or vinegar

I just cleaned my chrome bathroom light fixture using vinegar and 0000 steel wool. Easy and cheap, be sure you only use 0000 steel wool or it may scratch.

December 15, 2004 Flag

To remove water spots on chrome, use car paste wax. Works great!

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalApril 7, 2013
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Polished Chrome on Classic Car
Polishing Chrome
Rust on Chrome
Removing Rust from Chrome
Closeup of Chrome
Painting Over Chrome
🎉
🎄