Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Cookie Sheets and Bakeware

Bakeware on White Background

Cookie sheets and other types of bakeware can be frustrating to clean, especially the baked on grease and cooking sprays. This is guide about cleaning cookie sheets and bakeware.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cleaning Old Stained Cookie Sheets

Put the old cookie sheet in the sink add a little water and add some baking soda and peroxide.Leave it soak for about 1 hour and the grime should wipe right off.

By coville123 from brockville, ontario

Tip: Store Cookie Sheets Lined With Foil

I have two young boys and a very busy life, I found keeping nonstick foil on my cookie sheets and storing them in the oven to be both a money and time saver. I have two cookie sheets; one large and one smaller one. I store them lined with nonstick foil at all times in the oven.

I take them out to preheat the oven and then put whatever I am cooking directly on them and this saves on time since they are always ready to go, space in my cabinets and since I can just re-use them without washing, or remove the foil if it is dirty, and then not have to wash the cookie sheet. This tip saves money and time.

By Cheryllynn from Smithsburg, MD

Tip: Cleaning Bakeware

I was making coffee cake muffins and the brown sugar dripped down into the cups. I filled the tins with water and stuck it back in the hot oven until the oven cooled. Then I took the tin out and washed with soap and water. The baked on sugar was removed with ease.

I even used the method with the bread pans. It works great when you spray them, it loosens the grease and gets rid of the greasy sticky feeling.

By Alice from West Brandywine, PA

Tip: Use Self Cleaning Oven for Hard to Clean Bakeware

Do you have broiler pans or cookie sheets that have build up on them so bad that no matter how hard you scrub them it will not come off? Don't worry, my husband showed me a way to clean them where I don't even have to touch them. Do you have a oven with a self cleaning feature? Well if you do, the next time you fire that puppy up, place your broiler pan, cookie sheet or any solid metal pan in there before you start (no nonstick please) and let the oven do all the work for you.

When the oven is done, just let the pan cool and wipe with a damp cloth. There ya go, shiny as the day you bought it. It costs so much in electricity to clean your oven you might as well get more bang for your buck.

By Melissa from Greeneville T.N.

Tip: Don't Scrub Your Cookie Sheets

Aluminum cookie sheets do much better if you just wash them in the sink. Do not put in dishwasher ever or scrub hard with a metal scrubber. After awhile, your cookie sheets will turn black and be "seasoned" like cast iron and will be practically non-stick.

By littlegamma from Southern, AL

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Cleaning Cookie Sheets and Bakeware.

Question: Cakepan Safety

I washed my Wilton cakepans in the dishwasher now they are discolored are they safe to use now?

By Rick

Question: Cleaning a Metal Cookie Sheet

I have a very good quality baking sheet, it has burnt food on it. I have tried Comet, dish soap, and soaking it; none have worked. What will work?

By Leslie

Question: Cleaning a Burned Cookie Sheet

I would like to know how to clean burned on food on a cookie sheet?

By Lucy G. from Wilmington, MA

Question: Removing Baked on Grease on Ceramic Bakeware

How do you get off cooked on grease from the new ceramic bakeware and off of Corningware bakeware? I do not use a cooking or baking spray on these, but the grease always seem to fly and bakes on the rim and the outside of the pans. I won't use the Corningware since my hubby thinks they should be spotless and I cannot get them clean!

Thanks.

By Mary from Hamilton, ON

Most Recent Answer

By Mary02/13/2011

I tried the dishwasher soap and it worked great!

I may try some other ideas after I run out of the soap!

Thanks!

Question: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I just burnt my grandmother's new cookie sheets while baking cookies. How can I clean them?

By MaKenzie from Norwood, MA

Most Recent Answer

By Maryeileen02/28/2011

Someone asked what she used them for. If you read her post carefully, she said that she burned the cookie sheets. Depending on what they are made of, you could soak them in hot, soapy water for awhile, scrub them, and then put them in the dishwasher.

Question: Cleaning Baking Sheets

I have heard that you can put your cookie sheets in your self-cleaning oven with no problem and they come out as good as new. Is this really safe? My pans have a lot of black residue on them from constant use and my new oven gets really hot when it cleans. I do not want a flash fire in my oven when I clean!

Thanks for your help,
Marion from Ontario, Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Evelyn04/11/2009

I have started using parchment paper for most things I put on the baking pans. In most cases it lifts off with no fuss and no cleaning problems. Sometimes a little leakage has to be wiped away, but that's it.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Aluminum Cookie Sheets

Is there any product that'll clean aluminum tin cookie sheets and pie pans like Easy Off cleans stainless steel and glass? I can't stand the baked on grime anymore!

Tressa

RE: Cleaning Aluminum Cookie Sheets

You will never get it clean. Aluminum is not a good idea too cook on. (08/15/2005)

By Joyce wis

RE: Cleaning Aluminum Cookie Sheets

Aluminum cookie sheets are hard to clean once the fat gets baked on. Depending on how much you value your cookie sheets, there are a couple of things you can try.

If you don't care too much about them, use steel wool on them. Under running water, very, very lightly scrub the dark brown surface until it flakes away. You'll be able to get most of the guck off. If you are very persnickety about your pans, use a Mr. Clean Eraser and do the same thing. It works more slowly, but you are less likely to scratch or gouge your pans with this product. (08/15/2005)

By Katie A.

Archive: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I bought new baking sheets and baked some cookies and now the cookies have left stain marks. How do I get them off?

CyndiT from Plainfield, IL

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I have always used soap filled steel wool pads (SOS pads). If you do a quick light cleaning with them after each baking session your pans will stay nice for years. I'm still using plain aluminum pans and baking sheets I've had (and used continuously) for 30 to 40 years and they still look great. I'd rather have the very faint scratch marks in the aluminum from cleaning with steel wool than have the burned on grease that you get otherwise.

Here's a neat tip I picked up from a ThriftyFun post: place your used, wet SOS pad on a small square of aluminum foil and it will not rust. This works great. It's probably one of the favorite pieces of information I found on this web site. Another tip, do not put aluminum articles in your dishwasher with dishwasher detergent. It will turn them dark and rough. You can however put aluminum in your dishwasher and run a rinse with "water only" to get the surface gunk off. I do this when I'm cooking for a crowd and want to get a lot of pans rinsed so food won't dry on them before I can give them a good washing. They're out of sight, out of the sink and out of my way until after the meal is served. My kitchen is small, with limited counter space so this works very well for me. (12/24/2006)

By Grandma Margie

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Even though I have cookie sheets I prefer to buy wax paper and just line my cookie sheets; which cuts down on my clean up time and preserves my somewhat ungodly looking cookie sheet. Once you start cleaning your cookie sheet with any abrasive it looses its luster. (12/24/2006)

By Ms. Tamie

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Spray the warm sheets with oven cleaner, and place them back inside the oven as it cools. Then remove them and the crud should scrub off pretty easily. (12/25/2006)

By Linda

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

There is a product on the market called "Dawn Power Dissolver". It is made by Proctor and Gamble. We use it in the elementary school kitchen to remove the burned on buildup of grease on all the baking sheets we use. I have used it at home as well, on my aluminum pots and pans. I found it in my local grocery store. It works great. (12/26/2006)

By Granny Sandy

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Sometimes vinegar will do the trick or the Magic Eraser. (01/05/2007)

By kimmcg

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

I just ordered a product called Magic Sheets, it removed all the oil and grease from my new cookie sheets. it is all organic. I also had baked chicken and I didn't need to soak the pan for hours, it is great. You can find them at magicproductsllc.com. (01/27/2008)

By Kathy

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Not a cleaning solution, but a way to continue to use your cookie sheets that have baked on goo. Purchase one or more Silpats. They are marvelous. Buy one each month as they run around $20. They come in several sizes so price will go up, but they are worth every penny. Never grease another cookie sheet, ever. You can even buy one for your toaster oven. And a great way to prevent grease buildup on new cookie sheets. (05/10/2008)

By mozark

RE: Cleaning Cookie Sheets

Barkeeper's Friend (from Wal-Mart) is the best I've found for stuff like this. I use it all the time and love it. (01/21/2009)

By Abigail