Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car

Fuel odors can be difficult to remove from the inside of your car. This is a guide about cleaning diesel fuel odors from inside a car.

January 23, 2005 Flag

My husband brought diesel home from the garage in a can and it spilt in the car. The result is the back seat is saturated and the car is absolutely stinking. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of odour and stain?

McConville

Hi,

My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic and his clothes always smelled like diesel no matter what I used to clean them. One day I was reading one of my online newsletters and someone had written in that an insurance adjuster had told her to clean her household items with Listerine after a fire, and the smell would be gone. He said it would remove almost any odor. I tried it on my husband's clothes and it works great. Now I never wash them without it. I was thinking if your spill is a small one, saturating a paper towel or something like it with Listerine and leaving it in the car for a while might help. It's worth a try. Hope this helps, Sharon

Hi,

I am an Independent Watkins Associate, and we carry two products that may really do the trick for you. I haven't had this problem and haven't tried this, but I do know of people who swear by these products. The first is Stain Pro Grease, Tar & Gum Remover, a high-powerd d-limonene that removes tar, grease, motor oil, and adhesives from clothing, upholstery, and hard surfaces like formica, linoleum, ceramics, and porcelain. The other product is our Odor Zap, a heavy-duty odor neutralizer formulated to permanently eliminate odors like smoke, mildew, paint fumes, or waste matter. This product is biodegradable, non-toxic, non-corrosive, hypoallergenic and non-staining. It's 100% safe for people, pets, and the environment. I think I would use both - the first for the stain and the second to remove the odor.

If you would like me to send you a catalog so you could check this out, just e-mail me, and I'll get one in the mail to you.

Trudy

trudypowell @ sbcglobal.net (remove spaces)

http://www.mo3bk.com

Zeolite is the safest odor eliminator known to man!

Natural volcanic zeolite mineral.

www.ZeoliteDepot.com

Diesel fuel spill in truck on cloth seat and plastic. What do I do?

December 17, 2011 Flag

We recently left for 6 weeks and put the car in the garage. Unfortunately, it picked up a strong odor of diesel (the lawn mower was in there as well). The car has leather upholstery and it seemed to absorb the odor. So far the only thing that helps is leaving the windows down overnight, but it is cold and we get lots of storms this time of year. The odor comes back after the car is closed up. I am quite sensitive to this odor and do not want to have to get rid of the car! Please help.

By Mary R

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can try a couple of things:

*small shallow bowls of straight vinegar set on the floorboards overnight (maybe for a few days if needed)

*cat litter (the absorbent kind) about three inches deep in a shoe box, again left overnight or even for a few days

I think, too, that there is a deodoriser wipe for leather, look in the car care section of a big-box store, or in an auto supply store.

Good luck, I hope if the thoughts I have don't work that you find something soon that will!

Brilliant recommendation thank you.something I would never have thought of without previous experience! Bought cat litter highly absorbent crystals this morning. Things are already improving. Brilliant.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 29, 2013
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
man servicing a semi truck
Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
Oil spill on pavement
Cleaning Up Diesel Fuel
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior
🎄