Cleaning Diesel Fuel Odors From Inside a Car

Fuel odors can be difficult to remove from the inside of your car. This is a guide about cleaning diesel fuel odors from inside a car.

cleaning a car interior
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

We recently left for 6 weeks and put the car in the garage. Unfortunately, it picked up a strong odor of diesel (the lawn mower was in there as well). The car has leather upholstery and it seemed to absorb the odor. So far the only thing that helps is leaving the windows down overnight, but it is cold and we get lots of storms this time of year. The odor comes back after the car is closed up. I am quite sensitive to this odor and do not want to have to get rid of the car! Please help.

By Mary R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can try a couple of things:

*small shallow bowls of straight vinegar set on the floorboards overnight (maybe for a few days if needed)

*cat litter (the absorbent kind) about three inches deep in a shoe box, again left overnight or even for a few days

I think, too, that there is a deodoriser wipe for leather, look in the car care section of a big-box store, or in an auto supply store.

Good luck, I hope if the thoughts I have don't work that you find something soon that will!

My husband brought diesel home from the garage in a can and it spilt in the car. The result is the back seat is saturated and the car is absolutely stinking. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of odour and stain?

McConville

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard that mothballs will neutralize (or mask?) the diesel smell. I've put mothballs in the bilge of my boat where there is always a little diesel fuel leakage and it does seem to help. But if I was in your situation, I would definitely get rid of the seat.

Read More Answers...
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 29, 2013
Work Clothing
Removing Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Odors From Clothing
work boots
Removing Diesel Fuel from Shoes and Boots
man servicing a semi truck
Cleaning Diesel Fuel on Concrete
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 8:47:09 PM on 10.0.1.172 in 516 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.