Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs

Commercial eggs are cleaned in the processing plants. However, if you buy farm fresh eggs you may be wondering how best to clean them. This is a guide about cleaning farm fresh eggs.

Farm Fresh Eggs
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Most of the forums online say to clean your freshly laid eggs by just rubbing them clean with your fingers under hot, running water. This can take quite awhile, especially in the winter when the chickens get everything muddy with their feet. It's also kind of gross. I have found the perfect tool for cleaning my eggs. I use a corn brush, made for de-silking corn cobs. It is a gentle, yet really effective scrub brush.

corn brush
    CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you clean farm fresh eggs?

By Kaydee from Mandan, ND

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Wipe the eggs with a damp and wrung out cloth if there is obvious something on them, otherwise leave them alone. There is a coating on them naturally that keeps bacteria out of the shell/and therefore the egg. The shell is porous to some extent.

Best Answer

I have a very good book that is a guide in egg safety. What it states and I use myself, is that because the protective bloom gets washed off, once you wash the egg you need to replace the coating. Discard any eggs that are truly spoiled or truly dirty, dip the egg for 30 seconds in a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water heated to 101 degrees F, wipe the egg dry with a paper towel or clean rag, then rub the egg with vegetable oil before refrigerating to prolong shelf life. I hope this helps.

Read More Answers...
    Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJune 26, 2013
    Cooking With Farm Fresh Egg
    Cooking With Farm Fresh Eggs
    Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
    Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
    Farm Fresh Eggs
    Tips for Using Farm Fresh Eggs
    Community Supported Agriculture Farm
    Joining a Community Supported Agriculture Farm
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 5:14:20 PM on 10.0.2.98 in 763 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.