Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs

Commercial eggs are cleaned in the processing plants. However, if you buy farm fresh eggs you may be wondering how best to clean them. This is a guide about cleaning farm fresh eggs.

February 14, 2014 Flag

Most of the forums online say to clean your freshly laid eggs by just rubbing them clean with your fingers under hot, running water. This can take quite awhile, especially in the winter when the chickens get everything muddy with their feet. It's also kind of gross. I have found the perfect tool for cleaning my eggs. I use a corn brush, made for de-silking corn cobs. It is a gentle, yet really effective scrub brush.

I have never seen a corn brush, I am going to get one. :)

They are awesome and can be found at bed bath and beyond for around three to five bucks. I have had mine two yrs and its hardly showing any wear.

I toss it in the dish washer after I am done scubbing a batch of eggs for the fridge. It also saves a lot of time trying to de-silk corn and scrubs mushrooms and potatoes well too!

Thanks Bluefenox. Next time I'm near a Bed, Bath and Beyond, I am going to see if I can get a couple of these to use for silking corn this summer.

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond a couple of weeks ago and bought two of the corn brushes. We don't have chickens but we do have some corn and I used the brush to removed silks tonight. I was amazed at how easy it is to get the silks off with this brush and they don't stick to the brush. Thanks for sharing this tip.

June 16, 2010 Flag

How do you clean farm fresh eggs?

By Kaydee from Mandan, ND

Best Answer

Wipe the eggs with a damp and wrung out cloth if there is obvious something on them, otherwise leave them alone. There is a coating on them naturally that keeps bacteria out of the shell/and therefore the egg. The shell is porous to some extent.

Best Answer

I have a very good book that is a guide in egg safety. What it states and I use myself, is that because the protective bloom gets washed off, once you wash the egg you need to replace the coating. Discard any eggs that are truly spoiled or truly dirty, dip the egg for 30 seconds in a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water heated to 101 degrees F, wipe the egg dry with a paper towel or clean rag, then rub the egg with vegetable oil before refrigerating to prolong shelf life. I hope this helps.

I hope knitter06040 was joking because egg shells are porous and those chemicals will be absorbed in to the egg :-o

When I was in agriculture class in high school we just washed them in plain water and then graded them and packed them. I had fun in that class and especially being a city girl growing up in Los Angeles. A bit of heaven in an asphalt jungle :-)

We just wash our eggs in plain, warm water and use a rough rag to get rid of bits of hay and chicken poop of the ones that need a bit of a scrub to get rid of debris.

Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJune 26, 2013
Cooking With Farm Fresh Egg
Cooking With Farm Fresh Eggs
Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
Farm Fresh Eggs
Tips for Using Farm Fresh Eggs
Community Supported Agriculture Farm
Joining a Community Supported Agriculture Farm
🎄