Browsing: Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Farm Fresh Eggs

Commercial eggs are cleaned in the processing plants. However, if you buy farm fresh eggs you may be wondering how best to clean them. This is a guide about cleaning farm fresh eggs.

Farm Fresh Eggs
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 14, 2014 Flag

Most of the forums online say to clean your freshly laid eggs by just rubbing them clean with your fingers under hot, running water. This can take quite awhile, especially in the winter when the chickens get everything muddy with their feet. It's also kind of gross. I have found the perfect tool for cleaning my eggs. I use a corn brush, made for de-silking corn cobs. It is a gentle, yet really effective scrub brush.

corn brush

June 16, 2010 Flag

How do you clean farm fresh eggs?

By Kaydee from Mandan, ND

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Wipe the eggs with a damp and wrung out cloth if there is obvious something on them, otherwise leave them alone. There is a coating on them naturally that keeps bacteria out of the shell/and therefore the egg. The shell is porous to some extent.

Best Answer

I have a very good book that is a guide in egg safety. What it states and I use myself, is that because the protective bloom gets washed off, once you wash the egg you need to replace the coating. Discard any eggs that are truly spoiled or truly dirty, dip the egg for 30 seconds in a solution of 1 teaspoon bleach to 1 quart water heated to 101 degrees F, wipe the egg dry with a paper towel or clean rag, then rub the egg with vegetable oil before refrigerating to prolong shelf life. I hope this helps.

We just wash our eggs in plain, warm water and use a rough rag to get rid of bits of hay and chicken poop of the ones that need a bit of a scrub to get rid of debris.

Well, the egg farmers in ND (family) would take the egg basket, set that in the egg pail, set that whole mess on top of the electric egg washer/swisher. Warm water, a couple drops of dish soap, mostly back then in was Palmolive. 30 minutes of gentle swish and you took them out to crate them. For a few, an old worn out washcloth rinsed in warm soapy water, a brush over and you are done.

Read More Answers...
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJune 26, 2013
Cooking With Farm Fresh Egg
Cooking With Farm Fresh Eggs
Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
Preventing Snakes From Stealing Eggs
Farm Fresh Eggs
Tips for Using Farm Fresh Eggs
Community Supported Agriculture Farm
Joining a Community Supported Agriculture Farm
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:36:08 PM on 10.0.0.66 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.