Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel

If your stainless steel appliances, fixtures, and other items look as though they are trying out for the next episode of CSI, it is time to remove the evidence. This is a guide about cleaning fingerprints off stainless steel.

January 12, 2012 Flag

I got this idea when I took my sewing machine in to have a little tool up. The repairman told me he wiped it down with WD-40. I'd just brought a new stainless steel stove and couldn't get the fingerprints off of the doors after it was taken out of the box. So, why not?

I tried WD-40 and, boy o boy was I ever pleased. It took off all the fingerprints and water stains from washing it down. Thanks to Morgan, my sewing machine repair guy.

Source: The feather weight repairman from Scottsbluff, NE.

By Sally from Crawford, NE

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Holy moly, I'm gobsmacked that a Feather Weight repairman had the nerve to use WD40 on one of those precious machines! WD40 attracts lint and dust like a magnet. Wowsa! It also gums badly after too many applications, and is the worst thing you can use on a sewing machine, or a door lock.

FTR, the only oil to use on a Singer (or any other quality sewing machine) machine is an oil made specifically for sewing machines, and even then one should be wary that it really is sewing machine grade oil-lot of bad labeling out there right now.

WD40 is a great lubricant and rust block, but it is not good to use in ALL applications.

March 10, 2013 Flag

Can anyone help on how to clean fingerprints off of a stainless steal appliance?

By Janet K.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put some vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe it down. It will gleam.

One way that I notice works is to wipe it with a little furniture polish (any brand seems to do) and a microfiber cloth.

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalMarch 12, 2013
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Dishwasher
Converting Appliances to Stainless Steel
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 7:38:37 AM on 10.0.1.54 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.