Cleaning Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel

Category Metal
If your stainless steel appliances, fixtures, and other items look as though they are trying out for the next episode of CSI, it is time to remove the evidence. This is a guide about cleaning fingerprints off stainless steel.

I got this idea when I took my sewing machine in to have a little tool up. The repairman told me he wiped it down with WD-40. I'd just brought a new stainless steel stove and couldn't get the fingerprints off of the doors after it was taken out of the box. So, why not?

I tried WD-40 and, boy o boy was I ever pleased. It took off all the fingerprints and water stains from washing it down. Thanks to Morgan, my sewing machine repair guy.

Source: The feather weight repairman from Scottsbluff, NE.

By Sally from Crawford, NE

Holy moly, I'm gobsmacked that a Feather Weight repairman had the nerve to use WD40 on one of those precious machines! WD40 attracts lint and dust like a magnet. Wowsa! It also gums badly after too many applications, and is the worst thing you can use on a sewing machine, or a door lock.

FTR, the only oil to use on a Singer (or any other quality sewing machine) machine is an oil made specifically for sewing machines, and even then one should be wary that it really is sewing machine grade oil-lot of bad labeling out there right now.

WD40 is a great lubricant and rust block, but it is not good to use in ALL applications.

Can anyone help on how to clean fingerprints off of a stainless steal appliance?

By Janet K.

Put some vegetable oil on a paper towel and wipe it down. It will gleam.