Cleaning Hair Bows

Cleaning Hair Bows
Hair bows can often be cleaned using a little bit of care to keep them looking like new. This is a guide about cleaning hair bows.

My daughter wears bows in her hair and they are always getting dirty. Instead of spending $5-$10 to replace the dirty bows, I used a small brush and Dawn dishwashing liquid and scrubbed the bows clean. I placed them in a window that gets lots of sun so they will dry quickly and will be ready to wear in no time. They look brand new! I figured I saved at least $35 or more and the bows look brand new.

By mdseese from Covington, LA

I lived in Louisiana for 20 years. I miss seeing all the little girls with their bows. Here in Massachusetts, it is unusual to see many little girls with the beautiful bows.

When I was small I 'ironed' my ribbons, holding each end, by pulling them back and forth over the chrome kettle after it had boiled. They dried instantly.

My daughter wears them all the time, too. I have found that if I boil a large pot of water and hold the bow over the steam with a pair a tongs, that I can usually wipe off any dirt. It also helps to bring the bow back to life. I have also started spraying the bow with a mixture of fabric stiffner & water that I have put into a squirt bottle. I let them dry over night, and they are like brand new bows in the morning. The stiffner really helps repel the dirt and keeps them looking great, and once they have been smashed and flattened then I start the process over again.

Can I use Clorox to clean my daughter's hair bows?

By Mia from Dyersburg, TN

Using Clorox would depend on the material the bows are made of. Can you take a small sample of the material from the bows and try the Clorox on that? If it works, go ahead. If you are talking about plain ribbons that you tie, they are hand washable/air dry. If you are talking about,more elaborate ready made ones with bows and flowers. They can be cleaned by putting cornmeal in a bag, and shaking to coat thoroughly, then brush off the cornmeal.