Cleaning Hairspray Off Bathroom Surfaces

Category Bathroom
young man using hairspray in front of mirror
Hairspray is great for keeping your hair in place. However, it is very sticky and can be difficult to remove from surfaces it lands on. This is a guide about cleaning hairspray off bathroom surfaces.

Unfortunately while using hair spray to style your hair, the spray can get on walls and other surfaces. This is a guide about removing hairspray build up on walls.

A girl spraying hairspray.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When using hairspray it seems to go everywhere, including the tile in you bathroom. This is a guide about removing hairspray from tile.

Spraying Hairspray

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Hairspray on eyeglass lenses is a tough one to remove. Take a rubbing alcohol pad (or a little on a cotton ball from the bottle) and rub over the lenses til they feel smooth again. Rinse well under running water and use a little Dawn detergent (this does not harm any anti-reflective coatings or scratch cote you may have on your lenses) as you do not want to place the glasses back on with the rubbing alcohol on them. Effectively drying your lenses with a microfiber CLEAN cloth with make them shine. Be sure and launder the cloths by hand with Joy or Dawn every so often as they get dirty and then, eventually, you're wiping dirt back ON your glasses.

Source: A/R Council recommends JOY or Dawn (not the anti-bacterial types) for effectively cleaning glasses with this type of night driving Anti-Reflective coating.

I have noticed lately that on my bathroom walls from using the pump hairspray I have little hairspray drops now on my walls. Does anyone have a rememdy to take it off without removing the paint? Hope you can help.

Mandi from PA

Answers

Having cleaned the beauty shop that my mom used to manage, I learned very quickly that using shampoo diluted in warm water does the best. It is also the best way to clean combs and brushes with hairspray build up.

I have a tiny bathroom; guests using hairspray cannot avoid spraying the walls. I just use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge kept in the room...wet it, wipe...comes right off.

Good old rubbing alcohol works to get hairspray off walls, mirrors and the build up from hairbrushes. But for painted walls check in a hidden area first, if you rub hard it might remove the paint.

Cheap shaving cream will remove stubborn hairspray off walls, mirrors, sinks, floors, etc. Works every time. One cheap can lasts!!

Magic Eraser is wonderful for some things but for this problem it didn't budge off of my walls.

Fantastic worked for me a few weeks ago on a bathroom mirror. I'm sure it would work on walls too.

Do not use hairspray on painted walls, it will take the paint off.

The shaving cream really works to take hairspray marks off bathroom walls - thank you for the tip, curious how you ever came up with this quick fix.

I tried shaving cream and could not believe my eyes.....It actually worked.

Thanks

I have navy blue and white striped wallpaper in my bathroom. I've tried several different cleaners to remove hair spray droplets. I've yet to find one that works. Any ideas?

By Granny2889 from near Charlotte, NC

Answers

Full strength ammonia in a spray bottle. That is what I used to use.

Anonymous

Is it paper only or have some sort of a plastic coating? That will make a huge difference on what should be used. Let us know so you'll get a safe answer. :-)

Mix quite a few table spoons of baking soda in warm water and sponge off the excess hair spray anywhere. Good luck and keep us informed on what you do. (I personally know that this does work!)

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponges? (The original smooth ones, not the ones with a scrubber side which might harm the wall paper.) I don't use hairspray but I haven't found much that these sponges can't tackle with very little elbow grease. No additional cleaners needed either, just rinse in warm water, wring out, and start "erasing".

Even if they can't quite cut the dried on hairspray, you will find dozens of uses for this "magical" product throughout your home, i.e.; no money wasted on "an experiment". Now that's a thrifty investment! :-)

Those Mr. Clean sponges will work will tip. I get the generic ones at local Dollar General.

How do you get hairspray off wooden doors?

Leo from Saint Louis, MO

Answers

Try the Mr Clean Magic Sponge with soap and water. Scrub hard! It takes out everything!!

I have the same problem. I usually wet the door with a sponge, then take a nylon scrubbie (the kind you use on teflon pans) and scrub. The hairspray will ball up into gooey sticky stuff that can be wiped off with the sponge. Any cleanser that I tried to use just left the whole door sticky.

Hope this works for you as well.

Lisa

I actually find that the magic eraser does not work, but using rubbing alchohol does....just take a rag and dab it in rubbing alchohol and wipe doors, works great!

How do you remove hair spray from bathroom door handles?

By Llinda from Friendship, WI

Answers

Try rubbing alcohol. Pour into rag and wipe on the Door Handles, then wipe again with dry rag. Alcohol cleans lots of things... handy in a spray bottle.

How do I clean hairspray off linoleum?

By Mark from Dallas, TX

Answers

The same way you take the accumulation of hair spray on a person hair when you wash it you use any brand baking soda 2 to 3 heaping tablespoon's of "it" and stirring to dissolve it with a quart of warm water will do the trick. Put your dish rag in it and wipe up the hair spray with the mixture. This may take several rinsed out dish rags and repeating of this process but I know it will work as our bathroom floor is cleaned this way perhaps every 4 to 6 weeks. It all is depending on how much hair spray you use to show you how many times to do it.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out for you.

I would like to know how to remove built up hair spray on wood.

By Karen from Kannapolis, NC

Answers

On wood I would use some soapy wood cleaner, you can buy it in most supermarkets. The kind of thing that is used for cleaning wooden floors and furniture. If you only need a little, ask around amongst your friends someone may give you just a little bit (that would be extremely frugal).

How do you remove hairspray from a tinted window?

By Lauren