Browsing: Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes

Shoes that have gotten wet or been in storage for a period of time may develop a musty odor. This is a guide about cleaning musty odors from shoes.

Musty Shoes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 30, 2008 Flag

HELP! I have just been given some faux fur lined suede boots by a friend. They are so lovely, but they have been in a cupboard that was a bit damp. It is not causing any problems to the actual boots, except they smell a bit musty. Has anyone any solution to how to make them smell a bit fresher please? Many thanks.

Monique from Somerset, UK

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can get Febreze there by you, it works miracles on musty smells and so much more.

What I did with mine was to pull the liner inside out and wash it with bleach and detergent, then let dry well, and before you wear them again, put in some new felt soles. That way you can wash those often more easily. One pair I put newspapers under the felt sole folded as thick as was comfortable and they were so nice and dry, and the newspaper adapted to my foot. Formerly from coastal Washington State, the most UK-like climate in the States. God bless you! --Kim

Thank you so much everyone - I am trying the baking powder solution then I think I will get the Febreeze as well.

I am so grateful to you for posting, I never thought of any of these solutions.

All best wishes

Monique :)

Is musty the same as mildew? I know that mildew odors can be dissipated by using vinegar. If the boots are clean, then just set a sponge soaked in vinegar, and wrung out, under the boots and put the sponge and boots in a plastic bag and tightly close for a few days.

Read More Answers...

October 20, 2009 Flag

I have shoes and a bag that were in a box in my cellar. It was in a cedar box (I thought). How do I get rid of the odor from the cellar? I am hoping there aren't any bugs. Thank you.

Victoria

By Victoria from Fairview, NJ

We air out our camping items (which tend to get musty if it was raining when packed away last) in sunlight. I would start with putting them outside in the sun on a sunny day up off the ground.

Fill them with scrunched up newspaper and let them sit that way for a day or two. The carbon from the newspaper print usually gets rid of all odors and moisture too!

Dirty tennis shoes.
Cleaning Tennis Shoes
Man Repairing a Shoe
Repairing Shoes
An old wooden wardrobe.
Removing Musty Smell from a Wardrobe
musty smelling wood trunk
Removing Musty Odors from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:35:19 PM on 10.0.0.69 in 712 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.