Cleaning Tub Stains

What can I use to get rid of those horrible dark (I guess mildew and soap scum) stains in my tub?

By Ronnie S.

Wet down the tub well and use scouring powder such as Comet, a plastic mesh scouring pad and some elbow grease.

A cleaner like Mr. Clean and an abrasive sponge like the ones made by Vileda should also work. Wet the tub, put in the stopper. Pour in about 1/2 cup of Mr Clean (you would need less if the tub wasn't so dirty), Sponge it around all over the tub, let sit for about 5-10 mins, then scrub with your abrasive sponge. If you have a heavy build up, there isn't any really easy way except a good cleaner and elbow grease.

You want to avoid anything with bleach if your stains are from mold, even the purpose made products that claim to be specific for cleaning mold from tile. Bleach and mold react to form a gas that over time can cause serious health problems:

Vinegar is much safer, and works every bit as well removing mold. Works not only on bathroom tiles but everywhere you have mold-kitchen, garage, porch and patio.

But those stains could also be from hard/mineral-laden water. Try the vinegar (mix at one-to-one parts). If that doesn't remove the staining, you might have stains from the water. There are products to address that (CLR, etc) but if the staining is from the water in the first place, you will always have to use those products to keep the tub stain free.

I feel the need to add something else here. Frugalsunnie has a very, very good point and I NEVER use anything that contains chlorine bleach anymore because I am one of those who have lung damage because of having used it. In saying that, it was my mistake to not mention to you that you should not use comet with bleach. The company does sell it without the bleach. Also, Frugalsunnie is referring to chlorinated bleach. Non chlorine bleach is safe and is usually on the same store shelf right next to chlorine bleach :-)

Dirty Bathtub and Fixtures
Cleaning a Stained Bathtub
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJuly 31, 2011
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub