Cleaning Vinyl Floors

Category Floors
Floor cleaning tools like mop, rags, etc. displayed on vinyl tile floor
You don't need to use harsh chemicals to keep your vinyl flooring clean. This is a guide about cleaning vinyl floors.

This is a guide about cleaning mold on vinyl flooring. Mold can grow on the underside of vinyl flooring or near the edges, often due to moisture.

Hand wearing pink glove scrubbing white vinyl floor with blue sponge.  Black bucket with green cloth in the background

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about cleaning white water stains on vinyl flooring. Standing water can leave unsightly white marks on your vinyl flooring.

Close up image of dog's water dish on wood plank vinyl flooring

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about restoring shine to vinyl flooring. Over time the shine on your vinyl flooring can get dull.

Kitchen With Vinyl Flooring

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Vinyl flooring is a nice inexpensive, easy to install flooring option. However, it can get scuffed and scratched easily. This is a guide about removing scuffs from vinyl floors.

Scuffed Vinyl Flooring

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have vinyl floors and wish to make them look new and very-very shiny, as well as giving them protection and easier to wipe clean, do the following:

Get a small bucket with some warm water, a little white vinegar, a couple rags and a box of SOS Brillo Pads. Any brand Brillo Pad can be used. One section at a time, wet floor and then scrub with Brillo Pad. Make sure not to miss any spots. This will remove old wax, scuffs and dirt. Wipe up all soap residue from Brillo Pads.

Next dampen a small rag with water, wring out. Squirt on Future Floor Wax, spread evenly over floor with rag. Let dry. I put a fan blowing on the area to hurry the drying process. I also open windows to let out fumes from wax.

When wax is dry, add another layer and let dry. Add one more layer and let dry.

I have lived in apartments that had vinyl from the 1940's and using this process, have had people think the floor was wet, it was so shiny. It actually has depth, like glass or water. Back in the early 70's, a woman with 11 children put this recipe into the local newspaper. She said it made her life so much easier and her floors looked shiny and new all the time. It made weekly clean up and spills a snap. She added 6 or 7 coats of wax. I used this many coats of wax on that old 1940's floor and it looked like a new vinyl job. When I moved into this old place, the floor was dark from many years of neglect. Every mark and scratch disappeared after the treatment.

It is the small microscopic scratches or scuffs that make floors difficult to clean as the dirt seeps into the cracks and the floor never really looks clean. I also do this to new vinyl floors as well to protect them and give them a long and shiny life.

By Trisha from West Vancouver, BC

I have cream colored vinyl tiles on my kitchen floor. Despite regular cleaning, these tiles have gotten really dirty. I can see dirt and grime in the grooves. I have used ammonia (diluted with water), Pinesol, ivory dish liquid, etc. Nothing seems to work. Can someone suggest a safe cleaning solution? I have an infant in the house so I cant use too much of any harsh chemicals.

SB from PA

Answers

Best Answer

I use Goo Be Gone on the difficult areas. The Armstrong dealer told me to use SoftScrub which also works.

Best Answer

I have white, faux marble vinyl tiles in the foyer and in one of my bathrooms. The only thing that cleans this tile is Formula 409. Spray it on, let it set for about a minute, then mop it up with a damp mop. Up will come all that dirt and grime that was immoveable before. Works every time without fail, like magic.

I have ground in dirt on old kitchen vinyl flooring. I have tried ammonia and bleach, not at the same time. I got all the old wax build up off, but am left with streaks of cloudy gray ground in dirt. How do I get this floor clean?

By Barbie from South TX

Best Answer

A bissell steam mop works well for this. I love mine. I got it at home depo for 60$

I moved into a rental where the flooring hadn't been changed in over 25 years. I have tried different cleaning methods, but after they dry my floor feels slimy. I have tried rinsing with steaming hot water, but it's still slimy. I should also mention that I have 2 small dogs so I can not use anything harmful.
Any suggestions?

Answers

Try vinegar or baking soda. Mr. Clean eraser should work, too.

What kind of flooring? Is this carpet? Wood, laminate? tile? linoleum?

Apparently, vinyl oozes some sticky oil-type substance when it ages. This link provides some tips on how to clean it: "Vinyl is a popular material for many different types of products, but over time can tend to ooze an oily, sticky substance on the surface. Sometimes this sticky residue can be cleaned away with a simple cleaner and other times requires drying out the sticky substance first."

http://www.howt  idue-from-vinyl/

this other site recommends that you use ammonia to cut out the grease, and then clean it up again. This would only work of course if you let your dog stay somewhere else for a few days: http://www.doit  a-sticky-residue

Vinyl sheet flooring

What do you use to clean a vinyl floor? I had a floor put down by Empire today, and I have no instructions. Does anyone know if Simple Green is too strong for cleaning it?

Also, I just bought a refill for my Quickie sponge mop and it specifically says do not use vinegar. Any ideas?

By Debby from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

You can call Empire, and see if they have the instructions, all manufacturers have their own recommendations.
Or try looking up the maker online, to see if there are any. (07/17/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

Your quickie refill will be fine with vinegar. Don't leave it set in it, wash the mop when done. It makes it rust faster, the breakdown of the finish, etc.
I put the vinegar water in a spray bottle, not in my cleaning water.
To clean the floor, I have inlaid, as well as other flooring. I use Armstrong floor cleaner (Walmart carries it) as well as good old Mr. Clean/Comet/Pinesol for general floor cleaning. I also use lemon generic ammonia. Do not mix products, just one at a time. They all clean vinyl fine. (07/21/2010)

By T&T Grandma

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

Armstrong floor cleaner is what I use. Get the kind that says " leaves no sticky residue" .
For spot cleaning I use spray glass cleaner. Occasionally I go on my knees and clean the whole floor with glass cleaner and a rag, it makes it shine so pretty and does not make the floor slick like Simple Green for example. (07/21/2010)

By Lily May

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

Dollar Tree carries a cleaner called Awesome it works for everything. I put it on and it's only a buck. I even cleaned the engine in my car. You can also get it at Dollar General, and Wal-mart, but Dollar Tree is cheaper. Everyone should try it. Make sure you read the bottled instructions. Good luck!
(10/22/2010)

By Sheena MO

How do I remove built up dirt and Mop and Glow from a non wax floor?

By Clark from Lancaster, PA

How can I get the yellow traffic areas on a no wax floor back to white (the original color)?

By bobo from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

You can buy a product that strips wax from kitchen floors, I used to get it at Walmart or the grocery store. I don't wax my floor, but over time a darker area appears where there is the most traffic flow. This product will take that out of the floor. It does require some elbow grease, but once done, my floor looks like new. (01/24/2010)

By susanmajp

How do I remove yellow build up from my vinyl floor?

By Lizzieboo from NJ

Answers:

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

Ammonia and water will cut the wax buildup. Get down on hands and knees (if you're able to), scrub, and rinse well. Change water frequently too. (08/22/2009)

By Lorelei

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

Is it build-up, or is it permanent? I have some yellowing in certain areas of linoleum in my house also. It is a chemical reaction and won't come off. (08/26/2009)

By LauriefromKansas

Can you clean vinyl or non-waxed floors with vinegar? How much water and how much vinegar? Can you rinse with alcohol to make it shine?

By Jesse from Mesquite, TX

Answers:

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

Over time alcohol will ruin vinyl. It will make it crack. (04/27/2009)

By Cindy in TX

Cleaning Vinyl Flooring

After you clean it use "Future" shine on it to seal it, it will last forever. Found in Aubuchons. (06/05/2009)

By Cheecky

I just moved into an old house and the kitchen floor is white speckled vinyl. It is old and very dirty. What is the strongest and best cleaning fluid? It would also be nice if I didn't have to rinse it.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.