A super easy way to clean your microwave (even easier than boiling a cup of water and letting it sit) is to throw in a wet dish cloth (wring it out a bit first). Then microwave it on high for one minute. Let it stay in the microwave for ten more minutes without opening the door. After ten minutes take the dish cloth and wipe out the microwave. Everything just slides right off.
By Debbie (01/10/2005)
Steam clean your microwave. Add four tablespoons of lemon juice to one cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl. Boil for five minutes in the microwave, allowing the steam to condense on the inside walls of the oven. Wipe clean.
By Chell (01/20/2005)
If you boil water or anything in the microwave please leave it there as it will explode in your face if you try to bring it right out. There is a safety alert out on this..
For a Microwave that needs cleaning put a bowl filled with cold water in there for 6 minutes. When it is done remove the bowl and simply wipe down the inside of your microwave. You will be amazed at how easily it wipes clean!
By Crazy Momma (02/10/2005)
To soften hardened food and eliminate odors from your microwave - place a bowl with warm water and cut up lemons and set high for five min. You will have an easy clean when the hard dried food has softened - and odors eliminated
By JOAN (02/17/2005)
The easiest way that I have found to clean my microwave is to fill up a mug with water. Put it in for a few minutes. Let it sit for about 5 or 10 mins. (longer if you have a lot of dried food splashed inside.) Then all you have to do is wipe out the inside and you're done.
To make it smell fresh you can put some vanilla in your cup of water. Your microwave is clean and smells good too.
By luv2craft (05/09/2005)
Need to clean that nasty microwave? Don't waste your money on those expensive towelettes, simply place a mug of water inside the microwave, heat for around 1 to 2 minutes, carefully remove the mug and easily wipe the inside of the microwave clean as a whistle.
By Harm0ny (08/29/2005)
Wow Dorothy and Debbie ... thanks! I just tried this method with the wet dish cloth and it worked fantastic! After 10 minutes the cloth is easy to handle and the gook just comes right off so much easier than with the boiled water method. Try this next time. I just happened to have a leftover slice of lemon in the fridge. I placed it on top of the dish cloth before microwaving and after waiting the 10 minutes, I squeezed the lemon on to the dish cloth. Now the microwave is clean and lemon fresh! (07/20/2006)
Articles are popping up all over for those of us who think the Microwave cleans sponges or rags! I understand that it only cleans "normal" household bacteria, NOT "harmful" bacteria, virus, mold, so we should NOT rely on it too much. Instead I have now started using the older sponges (1 month old) for-tubs, mud, paint, auto cleaning, replacing them rather than thinking their many pores are sterilized-when in fact they are only "sanitized", lightly cleaned.-If anyone in the home is even slightly ill, I switch-everyone to paper/plastic disposables, use bleach-where they cough/vomit/lie but in water (1/4 cup to-1 qt. water) and begin with paper towels even on the phone mouthpieces and doorknobs/lightswitches.
I'm-careful, wear baggies or disposable gloves for the worst events which occur usually only 1-2 times/yr., if ever.-I've educated my family to immediately SWITCH to-plasticware and disposable cups kept for such times-to prevent dishwasher recycling of live cultures.-Frugal? We've not-sent the doctors to the Bahamas in 25 years!! And I keep a careful eye on that kitchen sponge and the-toothbrushes, too, replacing them AND the paste, which ALWAYS touches the contaminated brushes when applied, on about the third day of mild illnesses, and the fifth day of any illnesses that linger, then AGAIN when they are well.
I worked with doctors, in hospitals much of my-young adult life and know that THIS is one of their-"secrets" to healing...frequently changing the contaminated things almost DAILY, which might be-overkill, but definitely WORKS...but at what PRICE?-About $400/day...so I figure my similar practices-are truly FRUGAL and save ALL potential hospital-visits, not to mention any future REinfection. Many of-us think that if the sick person gets well, there is no-further chance for contamination.
Another secret is regular healthy nutritious ORGANIC food WHEREVER POSSIBLE, and lots of water to flush the system. (Remember those filled disposable-water pitchers at bedside in the hospital?) Acidolphylus for any area that burns like from acid, and vinegar for Esophogeal Reflux. For those-who haven't been reminded of these things, it can-become a lifestyle to accompany basic clean living-when one practices it routinely. Otherwise, common-illnesses can keep a family sick MUCH too long, and-cost MUCH more after all said and done. It's WORTH-THE EXTRA EFFORT and mind renewal.- (07/22/2006)
Cleaning the microwave. To get rid of hard-to-shift gunk in your microwave, just put cup of hot water in and bring to boil for 4 or 5 minutes. The condensed steam on the walls will cause the gunk to just slide-off when cleaned with a rag. (01/27/2007)
I don't know about anybody else, but I have trouble reaching the over the stove microwaves, I use micro fiber cloth with plain water and a pancake turner to reach the back and the top. This works very well and I can reach all the little bitty pieces and they come right off. (07/11/2007)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!