Cleaning a Canvas Patio Umbrella

How can I clean a canvas patio umbrella and a hammock? I want them to be fresh and clean next summer.

Madame Zelda from Milwaukee, WI

Answers:

Cleaning Canvas Patio Umbrella

I've had good luck cleaning similar items by taking them to a do-it-yourself car wash. (Not the automated ones where you sit in your car and drive through!) I'd open the umbrella and with it lying on it's side, spray it with the detergent wash cycle. When it's clean, rinse it with the plain water. Start out cautiously. Some may have very strong water pressure that could tear or damage fabric or vinyl, if you put the nozzle too close to the surface you're cleaning! If that's the case just spray from a distance farther away. Let it dry thoroughly before folding up and storing away. (09/06/2005)

By Grandma Margie

Cleaning Canvas Patio Umbrella

Get a new or very clean trash can that is taller than half the height of your closed umbrella (including the little piece of center post). Fill up the can with water, add clothes detergent (and a cup of bleach if your canvas is color safe). Dip the top half of the umbrella into the can, swish it around and let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then lift out the umbrella. Let it drain, turn it over and do the same to the "stem" end. If you can find a can that is taller than the total length of your umbrella you only have to do it once. Open up the umbrella, rinse it with a hose, let it dry thoroughly and you are ready to store. (09/07/2005)

By jasablack

Cleaning a Canvas Patio Umbrella

I found a fantastic way to clean it. I inadvertently left my umbrella out all winter and it was incredibly gross. I starting trying to clean it and discovered I could slip the canvas covering off the wood frame and decided to clean it in my washing machine on high with hot water, detergent and plenty of Oxiclean. It came out fairly clean, but I decided to go further. I found a trash can and filled it with water and plenty of bleach and soaked the cover for about an hour. I then washed it again and the canvas is sparkling white. (06/11/2008)

By NancyR

Cleaning a Canvas Patio Umbrella
Patio Umbrella
Refurbishing a Faded Patio Umbrella
Umbrella Tree
Growing an Umbrella Tree (Magnolia tripetala)
wood patio umbrella table and chairs
Replacement Parts for Patio Umbrella Table
Blue Chairs and Table on Patio
Repairing Patio Furniture
🎄
🍂