Cleaning a Ceiling Fan

Photo of a ceiling fan.
With ceiling fans being up high and out of reach, we tend to neglect cleaning them regularly. When we do finally get around to it, the layer of dust can be quite thick. This is a guide about cleaning a ceiling fan.

An easy way to keep ceiling fans clean. Cut the legs off old pantyhose and put one on each blade, stretching them until the whole blade is covered. You'll have extra at the motor end so twist this until it's a tight roll then tuck it back into the "leg". When the pantyhose gets dusty, just remove and wash.

We live on the edge of a gibber desert where it's very dusty so our fans are always dressed in their best. No longer plain white, they look very colourful. They're currently wearing purple and black.

Works well in the city also, where fans pick up city grime.

By magicalmarilyn from Millstream, Western Australia

Read 12 Comments

I have two white ceiling fans in my kitchen and I clean them with Comet liquid but it still doesn't get the grease film off. What can I use to clean them?

By Momma Dobson from KS

Answer Was this helpful? 1

1/4 Cup Baking Soda

1/2 Cup Vinegar

1 Cup Ammonia

Mix with 1 gallon of very warm water. I double it because I use a bucket with 2 gallons of water. This is great for walls & woodwork too but you should dry wood afterward.

I agree. If we all would just add dusting our blinds and ceiling fans to our dusting routine we could avoid having to clean this items. But like everyone else, I forget and when it gets bad, I find the only thing that works, is Awesome, a cleaner from the dollar store, in the purple bottle. You can find it other places too, I believe. Oh, and use a microfiber cloth. That keeps it form all falling in your face or on the floor. Those rags hold on to dust or hair until you peel it off. Amazing.

Whichever method you use, I would make sure that I dry the blades thoroughly & don't get them overly wet as they could warp & your fan won't work properly after that.

I like "Greased Lightening". This even removes burned on grease from a broiler pan!

What is the best way to clean a ceiling fan?

Onesummer from Atlanta, GA

After thoroughly cleaning with soap and water and wiping dry, apply a thin coat of Armor All, you will be surprised on how clean your fans stays

I always clean my fans good (usually with lysol cleaner), then take dryer sheets and wipe them down good. This keeps the "dust bunnies" from sticking!

Dollar General sells a circular brush cleaner with long handle for cleaning fans. It's wonderful and very inexpensive. Haven't tried putting any spray cleaner on it but probably could.

don't screw around...remove three Philips screws, and take the fan blade into the sink and apply ammonia; this will cut thru grease caked on like dried syrup

How can I easily clean a ceiling fan?

If you want to avoid climbing a ladder - I would purchase an extendable ceiling fan cleaning tool with a microfiber cloth. They are sold at Home Depot or Walmart.

Try the pillowcase method shown here:

http://www.oneg  n-seconds-2.html

Dollar General has a feather duster that you can change the angle of. It works wonderful for ceiling fans. You can buy new feather covers for it, or do like I did and make washable ones out of a washcloth.

I use one of those telescoping fuzzy type mops (can't think what they're called!), but they're perfect for dusting fans and hard to reach places. Most dollar stores and Walmart carry them.