Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Ceiling Fan

With ceiling fans being up high and out of reach, we tend to neglect cleaning them regularly. When we do finally get around to it, the layer of dust can be quite thick. This is a guide about cleaning a ceiling fan.

June 19, 2009 Flag

An easy way to keep ceiling fans clean. Cut the legs off old pantyhose and put one on each blade, stretching them until the whole blade is covered. You'll have extra at the motor end so twist this until it's a tight roll then tuck it back into the "leg". When the pantyhose gets dusty, just remove and wash.

We live on the edge of a gibber desert where it's very dusty so our fans are always dressed in their best. No longer plain white, they look very colourful. They're currently wearing purple and black.

Works well in the city also, where fans pick up city grime.

By magicalmarilyn from Millstream, Western Australia

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The white blades in the "kitchen" ceiling fan were quite hard to clean I must say... ended up doing the best I could and eventually buy a new one. Not sure about this idea but worth it for people to try. It is not just the blades that get dirty though, the interior of the fan unit itself does as well over time and inhibits the motor.

April 15, 2010 Flag

I have two white ceiling fans in my kitchen and I clean them with Comet liquid but it still doesn't get the grease film off. What can I use to clean them?

By Momma Dobson from KS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I clean everything in kitchen with vinegar. It works, good luck.

I agree with vinegar on most everything, but with grease I would try simple green, then rinse with the vinegar or other such as dawn dish soap to remove the grease residue to prevent the grease buildup. Keeping them dusted in the first place is sure easier than getting the built up grease/dust combination of later. I don't like to dust but would rather do it than clean that sticky greasy buildup from up on a ladder.

Try 'Dawn Power Dissolver' found at Wal-Mart near the dishwashing detergent. If your fans are not made of unfinished wood it should work. I find that it really does disolve the grease. I prefer to spray it on my cleaning cloth and apply to the surface rather than spray directly on the greasy area, especially on a smaller area.

1/4 Cup Baking Soda

1/2 Cup Vinegar

1 Cup Ammonia

Mix with 1 gallon of very warm water. I double it because I use a bucket with 2 gallons of water. This is great for walls & woodwork too but you should dry wood afterward.

I agree. If we all would just add dusting our blinds and ceiling fans to our dusting routine we could avoid having to clean this items. But like everyone else, I forget and when it gets bad, I find the only thing that works, is Awesome, a cleaner from the dollar store, in the purple bottle. You can find it other places too, I believe. Oh, and use a microfiber cloth. That keeps it form all falling in your face or on the floor. Those rags hold on to dust or hair until you peel it off. Amazing.

Whichever method you use, I would make sure that I dry the blades thoroughly & don't get them overly wet as they could warp & your fan won't work properly after that.

I like "Greased Lightening". This even removes burned on grease from a broiler pan!

October 8, 2007 Flag

What is the best way to clean a ceiling fan?

Onesummer from Atlanta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it is really dirty you may have to get up on a stool to give a thorough cleaning and to wash the light fixture. After you do the initial cleaning then use a swifter duster with the extending arm to maintain it during your weekly cleaning.

Soap and Water on a ladder, my friend. Simple as that!

http://www.frug  ife.blogspot.com

I like to get my vacuum out and clean the blades with the brush attachment. The dirt and dust are sucked up by the vacuum and don't fall on the floor or spread to the rest of the room. After vacuumed, I then spritz with cleaner and wipe clean.

I washed mine with Pine-Gel diluted in hot water. Kleen Green should also work well. PS: Make sure the electricity is switched off!!

Slip a pillowcase over each blade, then grasp tightly as you pull the case off. Both sides of the fan blade are dusted at the same time, and the dirt and dust stays inside the pillowcase.

After thoroughly cleaning with soap and water and wiping dry, apply a thin coat of Armor All, you will be surprised on how clean your fans stays

I always clean my fans good (usually with lysol cleaner), then take dryer sheets and wipe them down good. This keeps the "dust bunnies" from sticking!

Dollar General sells a circular brush cleaner with long handle for cleaning fans. It's wonderful and very inexpensive. Haven't tried putting any spray cleaner on it but probably could.

don't screw around...remove three Philips screws, and take the fan blade into the sink and apply ammonia; this will cut thru grease caked on like dried syrup

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJuly 14, 2011
Cleaning Your Ceiling
Cleaning Your Ceiling
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Repairing a ceiling fan.
Repairing a Ceiling Fan
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 8:27:40 AM on 10.0.0.190 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.