Cleaning a Concrete Birdbath

What do you use to clean a bird bath? This is a bare concrete, shallow bird bath with a 12 inch circle of rust colored, slimy gook on it.

Baking soda? Salt? Vinegar? I just want to make sure it will rinse all the way off and not have any danger of hurting the wild critters.

Thank you!

By Jane

Elbow grease will be your best tool. Soak the red stuff a bit in plain water if the bath has dried, then use a good strong scrub brush to scrub it loose. (It is a form of algae.) Rinse well, and scrub again, if necessary. If you can empty and refill the bath daily, or even every other day, you can stay ahead of the algae; and the birds will appreciate the fresh water!

I clean mine with clorox and a scrub brush and rinse it well with the hose.

I put sand in the bird bath and use a scrub brush.

I soak my birdbath in a 10% bleach solution for an hour or 2 then scrub with a stiff brush and rinse thoroughly. I also spray it to refill and clean it out whenever I have the hose out to water my plants. Sometimes a couple of copper pennies placed in the bottom will help to deter or slow the algae growth.

Bird sitting on a bird bath.
Cleaning a Birdbath
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJuly 28, 2011
Motor Oil on Concrete
Cleaning Motor Oil Stains From Concrete
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Uses for an Old Birdbath
Uses for an Old Birdbath
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 2:15:57 AM on 10.0.2.64 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.