Cleaning a Marble Sink

I received a call from my mother today. She's had her bathroom remodeled and had a marble shower and sink installed. The contractor told her to just get some non-abrasive cleaner to clean the marble. She hasn't been able to locate anything that is able to cut through the soap scum that is building up in the sink.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what she can use that will take care of this problem? I suggested she stop using bar soap and use something like a shower gel - that maybe it wouldn't build up a scum like bar soap. Is this true?

Any help you can offer would be great! Thanks.

Kathi

Answers:

Cleaning a Marble Sink

Ditto on the baking soda. Mixing the baking soda with cheap shampoo should clean it easily. And yes, liquid soap or shower gel will not leave as much soap scum as bar soap. The bar soap contains some form of wax to hold it together so that's what causes most of the soap scum. (04/14/2005)

By austin95mom

Cleaning a Marble Sink

I clean houses and have one with a very large walk in marble shower. The ONLY thing I have found to remove the soap scum is shampoo. I bought Suave Clarifying Shampoo ($ .99) and it works perfectly. (04/15/2005)

By suzi homemaker

Cleaning a Marble Sink

barkeeper'sfriend! Check out their website:
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com . This product is amazing. I just found it at Raley's supermarket. Walmart doesn't carry it anymore :( It comes in a powder and liquid form. I prefer the liquid. It cleans everything! Try it. (04/18/2005)

Cleaning a Marble Sink

Try using French or Italian triple milled soaps, they don't leave scum the way our cheaper processed soaps do. (01/01/2006)

By Liz

Cleaning a Marble Sink
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
A marble spa tub and floor in a beautiful bathroom.
Cleaning a Marble Floor
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Closeup of pink marble slab.
Removing Stains from Marble
🎄