How to Clean Buildup on a Marble Shower

Category Bathroom
Marble tiles and other surfaces need to be cleaned with products that are especially made for marble or approved for use on it, to avoid damage to the stone's surface. This is a guide about how to clean buildup on a marble shower.

There are stains are on the marble floor tiles in the shower. These are the really tiny ones. It is not protected, and I think it is soap, limescale, and grease.

By kim mcmahon from Buckingham, UK

Answers

Best Answer

You just better be careful what you use on that or you will ruin it and never be able to get that nice marble look again. Most cleaners etch the surface leaving it with a light white looking powdery finish that will not ever come out.

I have tried many many things others have recommended for hard water residue remover on marble pool tiles. I ruined most using them. I spent big bucks on products that didn't work. Finally I tried just plain hot white vinegar and that was the best product. After it was removed, I used some Johnson and Johnson's Paste Wax over the surface of every tile in that pool for protection and to this day, they look spanking new still! Just be careful.

I want to know how to remove hard water spots on my marble shower wall and glass shower door. What product is safe for the marble as well as safe for humans? Thanks.

By Bessy Wong from Los Angeles, CA

Answers:

Removing Buildup on Marble Shower

Try vinegar for mineral deposits. To keep clean, use concentrated vinegar spray. You might Google for 'extra strength'. I don't know where to buy, but have seen it mentioned. Google for other vinegar uses. Good luck! (12/08/2009)

By eileen

Removing Buildup on Marble Shower

If you look at the archives you'll find the post about using clarifying hair shampoo. It removes all residue of hair products from your hair and it removes all residue from soap products on your marble. It is mild enough to use on my fiberglass tub but strong enough to dissolve soap yuck. (12/10/2009)

By Beth

Our shower floor is made of 4 in. tumbled marble squares. We put it in five years ago, and some sort of hardened scum has developed around the drain. It could be soap or some chemical deposit from our water, as it is hard as a rock! It is in the grout but starting to spread across the tiles.

Is there a chemical I can use and not hurt the marble? Should I scrape it somehow? Please help! (The rest of the shower looks fine, it's just this area around the drain.)

Luz from Yonkers, NY

Answers:

Removing Buildup On Marble Shower

We have some marble around our pool and it gets build up too. BioGaurd-Off The Wall has helped for us. I think you can find it at hardware stores, if not at a pool store. Good Luck. (09/19/2008)

By Katya Dolecki

Removing Buildup On Marble Shower

Sounds like hard water mineral deposits that are left after the water dries.

Carefully try using a dry 0000 steel wool pad with gentle pressure. You might also carefully try using a regular razor blade edge to gently scrape the deposit off. Use the blade on it's side with small sideways strokes against the surface of the marble. In this task, patience is definitely a virtue.

If you are successful in removing the deposits you may want to invest in a commercial marble polish, using it religiously. Keep your shower wiped DRY after every use!

I'm actually surprised that a builder used marble in a shower floor, as it is so susceptible to the problems caused by hard water. (09/23/2008)

By Krikit