How to Clean a Marble Sink

Category Bathroom
If your sink is actual marble and not cultured marble, one recommenced cleaner is D2 Biological Solutions. This is a guide about how to clean a marble sink.

I have a marble sink in a vanity top which is difficult to clean. What is the best way to clean a marble sink and keep from scratching it?

Jill from Richmond, VA

Answers

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Window cleaner like Windex words great on just about anything. It gets rid of soap scum and makes things shine.

By kospar (Guest Post)

We have hard water here in Greece, and lots of soap scum. The best thing that I have found is using Liquid Calgon (the one for washing machine). I just put some on an old sponge and rub over the scum gently. Leave for a few minutes, then rub off. It gets all the scum off.

Is it ok to use the same cleaner that we use for toilet commode (cleanx)?

Anonymous

NO. Marble is fragile. The National Trust recommends a product called "D2 Biological Solutions," which is a mild but amazing product. I've used it on tombstones out in the elements and think of it like using hydrogen peroxide on your teeth.

I've been using it on some marble tabletops with less results (I think my tables must have some wax finish that I can't see, so that the product isn't getting down into the marble).

Can marble sinks be cleaned with baking soda?

Shelley from Clearwater, MN

Answers:

Cleaning a Marble Sink

Great info on the subject. Use a non abrasive cloth regularly and StonetechPro has great products you might consider.

Good Luck!

I would stay away from bar keepers friend. It will score a water based seal. (07/02/2007)

By Elliot K.

Cleaning a Marble Sink

I have a marble sink, vanity, tub and tub surround up to the ceiling. The product that I use is Gel-Gloss. It is a wax that cleans, seals and protects. Fiberglass & Marble manufacturers recommend it. The water pebbles off beautifully after a shower. It leaves a smooth sealed surface that resists water spotting and staining.

Do not use on the bottom of the tub though as it would be slippery. It only needs to be done about every 6 months or as needed. If you use cream soaps, you may do the tub part more often. This also works on mirrors and shower doors. One of my must have products! The label says that you can use it confidently on acrylic, ceramic, chrome, stainless steel, porcelain and plastic laminate surfaces. It comes in a spray and also a liquid. I prefer the liquid. It is thicker and much longer lasting. I purchase mine at our local hardware stores. (11/16/2007)

By Joyce Robertson

I received a call from my mother today. She's had her bathroom remodeled and had a marble shower and sink installed. The contractor told her to just get some non-abrasive cleaner to clean the marble. She hasn't been able to locate anything that is able to cut through the soap scum that is building up in the sink.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what she can use that will take care of this problem? I suggested she stop using bar soap and use something like a shower gel - that maybe it wouldn't build up a scum like bar soap. Is this true?

Any help you can offer would be great! Thanks.

Kathi

Answers:

Cleaning a Marble Sink

Ditto on the baking soda. Mixing the baking soda with cheap shampoo should clean it easily. And yes, liquid soap or shower gel will not leave as much soap scum as bar soap. The bar soap contains some form of wax to hold it together so that's what causes most of the soap scum. (04/14/2005)

By Ronda

Cleaning a Marble Sink

I clean houses and have one with a very large walk in marble shower. The ONLY thing I have found to remove the soap scum is shampoo. I bought Suave Clarifying Shampoo ($ .99) and it works perfectly. (04/15/2005)

By suzi homemaker

Cleaning a Marble Sink

barkeeper'sfriend! Check out their website:
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com . This product is amazing. I just found it at Raley's supermarket. Walmart doesn't carry it anymore :( It comes in a powder and liquid form. I prefer the liquid. It cleans everything! Try it. (04/18/2005)

Cleaning a Marble Sink

Try using French or Italian triple milled soaps, they don't leave scum the way our cheaper processed soaps do. (01/01/2006)

By Liz