Cleaning a Marble Sink

I have a marble sink in a vanity top which is difficult to clean. What is the best way to clean a marble sink and keep from scratching it?

Jill from Richmond, VA

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Window cleaner like Windex words great on just about anything. It gets rid of soap scum and makes things shine.

By kospar (Guest Post)

We have hard water here in Greece, and lots of soap scum. The best thing that I have found is using Liquid Calgon (the one for washing machine). I just put some on an old sponge and rub over the scum gently. Leave for a few minutes, then rub off. It gets all the scum off.

Is it ok to use the same cleaner that we use for toilet commode (cleanx)?

Anonymous

NO. Marble is fragile. The National Trust recommends a product called "D2 Biological Solutions," which is a mild but amazing product. I've used it on tombstones out in the elements and think of it like using hydrogen peroxide on your teeth.

I've been using it on some marble tabletops with less results (I think my tables must have some wax finish that I can't see, so that the product isn't getting down into the marble).