Cleaning Marble

Category Miscellaneous
Cleaning Marble
A durable rock material that needs to be cleaned and maintained with care. This guide is about cleaning marble.

I am in need of help with cleaning Marble end tables that I just got back into this house after 35 years. The End tables were given to a family member years ago and now that I have them back she has painted the table and the tan marble with Brown ugly paint.

I got most of the paint off of the marble but there is still some in the small pits of the grain. I would like to know how to clean these really well and also what will make them shine again like they once did. This is not white marble it is Tan marble. Each table top weighs about 25-30 lbs I know this can be done to make them shine again, all help will be tried.

Thanks,
Keith

Clean marble with pulverized chalk. Apply with a damp sponge.

Use and "Impregnator"; check at stores that sell marble tops or slabs. This will give it the luster you are looking for.

Can you flip it over and use the opposite side?

My mother had marble tables when I was growing up. We used corn starch powder and a chamois cloth. The shine was incredible and it was not too difficult a chore.

Good luck!

I too have old Marble Top Tables. 2 end, 1 occasional and 36" round coffee table. About 50 yrs old. 15 yrs ago I took them to a professional and they grind and polish to almost new looking. Have never found a product that polishes them. Going to take them to a Pro again. You might consider this.

I have a marble sink in a vanity top which is difficult to clean. What is the best way to clean a marble sink and keep from scratching it?

Jill from Richmond, VA

Answers

Window cleaner like Windex words great on just about anything. It gets rid of soap scum and makes things shine.

We have hard water here in Greece, and lots of soap scum. The best thing that I have found is using Liquid Calgon (the one for washing machine). I just put some on an old sponge and rub over the scum gently. Leave for a few minutes, then rub off. It gets all the scum off.

Is it ok to use the same cleaner that we use for toilet commode (cleanx)?

There are stains are on the marble floor tiles in the shower. These are the really tiny ones. It is not protected, and I think it is soap, limescale, and grease.

By Kim from Buckingham, UK

Answers

LA's Awesome keeps mine sparkling clean for $2/gallon at Walmart.

The best thing I can tell you is to get out the Scrubbing Bubbles for Tub and Tile. Use it really well with a stiff brush, let it set a bit according to directions, then wash off and don't let it continue to go without being protected! You can use bleach and water mixture as well, but the Scrubbing Bubbles is much easier, less scrubbing with a toothbrush!

How do you clean a marble table top?

Pamdressel from NJ

Answers

What about moisture stains, from ice.

How do I remove pen ink from marble table top?

Need a general cleaning agenda to clean NEW kitchen table top.

I have marble in my bathroom and I'm not sure how to clean it. Any tips?

MRD

Marble has a delicate surface. Clean surfaces with mild detergent or stone soap· Thoroughly rinse with clean water and dry the surface after washing.

Blot up spills immediately, if possible. Protect countertop surfaces with coasters, trivets or placemats. DON'T use vinegar, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids on marble. Don't use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub & tile cleaners. Don't use abrasive cleaners such as Comet or soft cleansers. Just using mild soap and water is your best bet.

I have a marble sink, vanity, tub and tub surround up to the ceiling. The product that I use is Gel-Gloss. It is a wax that cleans, seals and protects. Fiberglass & Marble manufacturers recommend it. The water pebbles off beautifully after a shower. It leaves a smooth sealed surface that resists water spotting and staining. Do not use on the bottom of the tub though as it would be slippery. It only needs to be done about every 6 months or as needed. If you use cream soaps, you may do the tub part more often. This also works on mirrors and shower doors. One of my must have products! The label says that you can use it confidently on acrylic, ceramic, chrome, stainless steel, porcelain and plastic laminate surfaces. It comes in a spray and also a liquid. I prefer the liquid. It is thicker and much longer lasting. I purchase mine at our local hardware stores. (Previously posted under "Cleaning a Marble sink") I also use this on my boat.

I have a Marble table in my living room, that has glass stains, what will take the stains out and make it nice again.

I have a marble fire place and over time people have put tea cups on it, and it has become stained. Has anyone an idea on how I can remove these stains and get a shine back to it?

By Margaret from UK

Answers

I have heard that you can make a paste with baking soda, you may have to try a couple times, also toothpaste the white past type, you can use furniture bees wax or Turtle Wax (for cars) to put shine on.

I am pretty sure what I read said baking soda and since that is commonly used as a drawing agent (odors, stains on clothing etc.) but I see someone else wrote NOT baking soda baking powder, so test, good luck

I knew someone with a marble kitchen floor (big mistake) and she would have a professional company out several times per year to refinish it. Said she'd never do it again because it's not convenient to maintain.

How do I remove hairspray from marble countertops?

My granddaughter used a thick white polish for leather on my marble dining table. She didn't remove it until the next day. I had trouble removing it, now I have a dull finish. It use to shine and now it looks dull and dirty. Is there anything I can do?

How do I remove little dark spots on marble?

By Rose

How do you remove water stains from marble?

By May from Orlando, FL

Answers

Anonymous

Check out places like Lowe's or Home Depot and even your local Ace Hardware for 'marble polishing paste' or 'marble polishing kits'.

To clean marble and travertine, use Dawn liquid dish-washing detergent as a general cleaner. To remove stains, make a paste of 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 tsp. of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Cover the stain and allow paste sit for about an hour. Remove the dried paste, rinse with clear water and buff dry. To make marble and travertine shine, buff with dry cornstarch and a soft, clean cloth. Never use products like Lime Away, ammonia, lemon juice, vinegar, bleach, or Windex on these surfaces as they will dull their shine over time.

Source: Everyday Cheapskate

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Answers

Anything acidic, like Lime Away, vinegar, lemon juice, will dissolve the marble, not quickly, mind you, but over time. This is why it dulls the shine.

My garden marble table is very dull. Is there a liquid that will make it shiner?

By R Hester

My parents have a marble bathroom counter, that we can not get clean, with out seeming to damage the marble surface. Any ideas would be great!

By Ceili

Any suggestions for cleaning glass rings on a cream colored marble table?

By Theresa from Cleveland, OH