Cleaning Marble

Category Miscellaneous
A durable rock material that needs to be cleaned and maintained with care. This guide is about cleaning marble.

I am in need of help with cleaning Marble end tables that I just got back into this house after 35 years. The End tables were given to a family member years ago and now that I have them back she has painted the table and the tan marble with Brown ugly paint.

I got most of the paint off of the marble but there is still some in the small pits of the grain. I would like to know how to clean these really well and also what will make them shine again like they once did. This is not white marble it is Tan marble. Each table top weighs about 25-30 lbs I know this can be done to make them shine again, all help will be tried.

Thanks,
Keith

Answers

By Marn (Guest Post)

Clean marble with pulverized chalk. Apply with a damp sponge.

By Marn (Guest Post)

Use and "Impregnator"; check at stores that sell marble tops or slabs. This will give it the luster you are looking for.

By Teresa (Guest Post)

Can you flip it over and use the opposite side?

By QuietLady (Guest Post)

My mother had marble tables when I was growing up. We used corn starch powder and a chamois cloth. The shine was incredible and it was not too difficult a chore.

Good luck!

By Marelou (Guest Post)

I too have old Marble Top Tables. 2 end, 1 occasional and 36" round coffee table. About 50 yrs old. 15 yrs ago I took them to a professional and they grind and polish to almost new looking. Have never found a product that polishes them. Going to take them to a Pro again. You might consider this.

I have marble in my bathroom and I'm not sure how to clean it. Any tips?

MRD

Answers

Marble has a delicate surface. Clean surfaces with mild detergent or stone soap· Thoroughly rinse with clean water and dry the surface after washing.

Blot up spills immediately, if possible. Protect countertop surfaces with coasters, trivets or placemats. DON'T use vinegar, lemon juice or other cleaners containing acids on marble. Don't use cleaners that contain acid such as bathroom cleaners, grout cleaners or tub & tile cleaners. Don't use abrasive cleaners such as Comet or soft cleansers. Just using mild soap and water is your best bet.

I have a marble sink, vanity, tub and tub surround up to the ceiling. The product that I use is Gel-Gloss. It is a wax that cleans, seals and protects. Fiberglass & Marble manufacturers recommend it. The water pebbles off beautifully after a shower. It leaves a smooth sealed surface that resists water spotting and staining. Do not use on the bottom of the tub though as it would be slippery. It only needs to be done about every 6 months or as needed.

If you use cream soaps, you may do the tub part more often. This also works on mirrors and shower doors. One of my must have products! The label says that you can use it confidently on acrylic, ceramic, chrome, stainless steel, porcelain and plastic laminate surfaces. It comes in a spray and also a liquid. I prefer the liquid. It is thicker and much longer lasting. I purchase mine at our local hardware stores. (Previously posted under "Cleaning a Marble sink") I also use this on my boat.

By keithbmn@yahoo.com (Guest Post)

I have a Marble table in my living room, that has glass stains, what will take the stains out and make it nice again.

My garden marble table is very dull. Is there a liquid that will make it shiner?

By R Hester

Answers

If its real bad, you sand it down with a power sander, but have to use the sand paper for marble, then you buff it back with marble buffing compound. If its not that bad, they make cleaners for marble that Walmart carries. Do NOT use anything like vinegar or limeaway on it. It will ruin it to the point it will have to be sanded.

There are commercial stone cleaners that can be applied. Use one of those and follow directions on the label.

I have a marble fire place and over time people have put tea cups on it, and it has become stained. Has anyone an idea on how I can remove these stains and get a shine back to it?

By margaret lucid from UK

Answers

I have heard that you can make a paste with baking soda, you may have to try a couple times, also toothpaste the white past type, you can use furniture bees wax or Turtle Wax (for cars) to put shine on.

I am pretty sure what I read said baking soda and since that is commonly used as a drawing agent (odors, stains on clothing etc.) but I see someone else wrote NOT baking soda baking powder, so test, good luck

I knew someone with a marble kitchen floor (big mistake) and she would have a professional company out several times per year to refinish it. Said she'd never do it again because it's not convenient to maintain.

How do I remove little dark spots on marble?

By Rose

Answers

Marble floors? Using clean warm water is the best. No harm chemicals. If you must use a real cleaner, use the mildest as possible.

To clean marble and travertine, use Dawn liquid dish-washing detergent as a general cleaner. To remove stains, make a paste of 1 Tbsp. cornstarch and 1 tsp. of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Cover the stain and allow paste sit for about an hour. Remove the dried paste, rinse with clear water and buff dry.

To make marble and travertine shine, buff with dry cornstarch and a soft, clean cloth. Never use products like Lime Away, ammonia, lemon juice, vinegar, bleach, or Windex on these surfaces as they will dull their shine over time.

Source: Everyday Cheapskate

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Answers

Anything acidic, like Lime Away, vinegar, lemon juice, will dissolve the marble, not quickly, mind you, but over time. This is why it dulls the shine.

My parents have a marble bathroom counter, that we can not get clean, with out seeming to damage the marble surface. Any ideas would be great!

By Ceili

I have marble and granite floors in my foyer. I am looking for a homemade cleaning solution. Does anyone know what to use? Also, what about cleaning travertine?

Sonya from Georgia

Answers:

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

I knew someone a few years ago who complained that she had to have her marble kitchen floors professionally re-done every few months - and if she knew that when she built the house, the flooring would have been something else. (01/11/2006)

By Holly

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

I use warm water and a teflon-pan-type scrubby. Then push a dry towel around my granite and hardwood floor. Good mats outside and in catch most of the dirt. (01/11/2006)

By Ruth Counter

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

Hi,You could check out tile and stone specialty stores thru the yellow pages or go to Stone Care International webb page @ www.stonecare.com.Or you could call 1-800-839-1654. (01/11/2006)

By Dean from Maine.

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

I use Stonecare products. I have also tried clorox wipes for kitchen. The problem is that it looses its luster and eventually can fade the granite, so I went back to Stonecare. Its 8.45 per quart, when purchased by the gallon. YOU spent the money getting granite, why not keep it beautiful?

Good luck! (02/22/2006)

By Angela from PA

granite tile cleaning

Just got granite tile installed for my dining room (black galaxy from India) very difficult to understand when cleaning. I purchased couple of products from home depot. sprays, liquids. and finally a granite polish. the polish now does not come off. i followed instructions, (mind you, I'm on my hands and knees) and going in circular motions, i decided to drop a spray of water and do it again and the shine finally came through. my question is, what gadget can i use so i don't have to be on my hands and knees. feel like the Flintstones. please help( (02/28/2006)

By myrna

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

Read this page: http://www.YourVanityTop.com/Care.asp

It will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck. (05/30/2006)

By Shegan

Marble and Granite Tile Cleaning Recipe

Murphy's Oil Soap is wonderful on anything stone. It's easy as you can apply with a mop. Personally I wouldn't use it on a marble slab used for candy making but for anything else it's a great product. Sometimes products we have used for years turn out to be just as good, if not better for new fangled home improvements we have invested in. (05/29/2009)

By Susan Wolfe

I have a white marble table top and it has both stains from food and marks from coffee cups and place mats. How do I remove them? Also, I need to know a safe inexpensive way to polish the marble.

Sandra from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Cleaning Marble

I feel I must tell you my horror story;

My mother-in-law left us a beautiful Italian (yes, imported) marble table when she died. We tried to be extremely careful, however, something caused cloudy spots to appear. I looked up anything and everything and tried several so-called gentle solutions. Not only did they not fix the problem, they tended to make it look worse! In desperation we went to a marble works company and they told us the only way to restore marble is to let a professional do it. I have to agree with him. Since we are on a fixed income we cannot get the work done for $500 + dollars! Instead, we have had to cover it with a tablecloth. (11/04/2006)

By Hope

Cleaning Marble

My horror story; I took my German Marble top cabinet to a German stone handling shop. They were unable to remove the stain and polishing did no good. Good luck (10/16/2008)

By Laura Justice

I am looking for advice on how to clean an old old marble washstand.

Marianne

Answers:

Request: Cleaning Marble

I feel I must tell you my horror story. My mother-in-law left us a beautiful Italian (yes, imported) marble table when she died. We tried to be extremely careful, however, something caused cloudy spots to appear. I looked up anything and everything and tried several so-called gentle solutions... not only did they not fix the problem, they tended to make it look worse! In desperation we went to a marble works company and they told us the only way to restore marble is to let a professional do it. I have to agree with him. Since we are on a fixed income we cannot get the work done for $500! Instead, we have had to cover it with a tablecloth. (11/04/2006)

By Hope

Can anyone give me advice on cleaning marble?

I am contracted to clean Italian marble floors before sealing, any suggestions?