Browsing: Cleaning a Thermos

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning a Thermos

Whether stainless steel or glass, these insulated containers need to be rid of prior food or beverage odors. This guide is about cleaning a thermos.

Cleaning a Thermos
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 15, 2010 Flag

To clean a thermos easily, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets and let soak 1 hour or more, then rinse.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

June 1, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning a stainless steel thermos. Tea and coffee are common beverages kept in a thermos. Both can leave stains inside.

Stainless Steel Thermos against white background

February 11, 2010 Flag

I have a pop top thermos that doesn't come apart, but I need to clean it. I use it everyday and I need to figure out how to clean this. I don't want to buy a new thermos. Can you help me? Thank you.

By Yvonne

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I purchased a baby bottle brush and have found it to be very useful.

Add some uncooked rice & a little water & shake that should break up any sort of residue that formed. The chipped ice works really well on coffee pots.

Maybe a denture cleaning tablet and warm water placed inside the thermos could clean the inside.

Those denture tablets are not expensive at the dollar-type stores. They can be used to clean a number of items; such a a vase, even to cleaning the toilet bowl. (I learned about these denture tablets right here on Thrifty Fun!)

Here are a couple of ways to clean your thermos

Baking soda and vinegar. Put about 1 of vinegar into the bottom of the Thermos (cider vinegar works best as its the most acidic) and add 1 tablespoon baking soda for every 2 cups that the Thermos holds. Quickly fill the Thermos with boiling water. Itll foam a little but not as much as the denture tablets or dishwashing powder; the rest of the directions are the same as above  dont cap, let sit, scrub and rinse.

This is a great fall-back method, as almost everyone has the supplies on hand. It takes more scrubbing than the methods above, but its significantly better than just dishwashing soap.

Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. If you dont have vinegar, you can use hydrogen peroxide in its place; same instructions. Do not use lemon juice as a substitute for vinegar in a stainless Thermos, Ive read that it can damage the welds (but I dont know from personal experience).

Read More Answers...

October 16, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have some tips on cleaning a dirty (coffee) thermos?

By Sushila

Denture tablets will clean it up quickly also.

Depending on how dirty it is, fill with hot tap water and add one or two denture tablets. Leave setting in the sink, preferably over night. The next morning put your hand over the now cooled top and shake it up and then pour it down the drain. If it didn't get all the 'crud' out then repeat the same procedure a second time-leaving until the water has cooled so it doesn't burn your hand.

When you rinse it well it should be as clean as when new. I cleaned a stainless steel one this way that looked completely black inside. After two cleanings it sparkled. Now I just periodically clean with one denture tablet and it is good to go for another month or so.

Good luck!

Vinegar; cleans coffee pots

Denture cleaning tablets work the best. They also work good on cleaning jewelry, wedding rings; anything that can get wet. The tablets from the dollar store, work just fine. Also remove tea stains from cups.

Read More Answers...

May 9, 2011 Flag

How do you remove a metallic taste from a stainless steel thermos?

By ERC

The taste is probably not coming from the stainless steel. It is probably coming from the cap or plug which is lined with plastic or rubber. The best thing to do is not cap the thermos between washings. Leave it opened and the plug and cap opened to the air.

I have the same problem with a stainless steel thermos, and it is a stainless steel taste, not plastic or rubber. I'm hoping someone posts a good solution.

I have used a stainless steel thermos for years, and have no problem with metallic taste. I have found that decaf coffee doesn't keep a fresh taste and taste metallic, but that is the nature of the coffee. Regular coffee is fine. My son has a stainless steel water bottle; he has no trouble with off taste. What are you carrying in your thermos?

I have a new stainless water bottle that I recently used to put iced coffee in. I ended up dumping it out because it tasted so bad, bitter & metallic. This was a new bottle I'd never used either. I washed it & air dried it without the lid on it too. I'm disappointed, hope someone else has an idea on it, I just figured I wasn't going to be able to put coffee in it.

April 21, 2012 Flag

Thermos lid.How do you thoroughly clean the pop top (pourable) lid to a stainless steel thermos? I don't see any way to take it apart, but it smells and needs some serious cleansing.

I have tired soaking in dishwater, bleach, and dishwasher detergent. I have wedged it open and put it through the dishwasher. Nothing helps.

By Marnie L.

Have you tried submersing it in hydrogen peroxide for a good, long time? The advantage of hydrogen peroxide is that, in small quantities it is not toxic to people but it can really clean things quite well. So, if there is a trace amount left, you are not going to poison anyone. And works best when it is cold or in room temperature. That would be an important factor when you are dealing with a plastic object to clean. Good luck!

Another good option would be a denture cleanser tablet. Totally safe since it's a product for dentures and used in the mouth. Will bubble up a lot of yucky stuff.

Maybe vinegar will do the trick its an odor eater for rooms and laundry. You may be able to soak it in vinegar, I do know when you mix apple vinegar and baking soda it causes a chemical reaction and foams maybe it will get in the crevasses and eat away the film causing odor. It will eat hair and unclog drains my mom also uses salt and lemon juice to do some cleaning like the garbage disposal try that as well.

June 29, 2013 Flag

My thermos has black scale in it and I hope someone out there can help solve my problem. How can I remove this?

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJune 30, 2013
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
stainless steel thermos
Replacement Parts for Gott Thermos
Thermos
Finding Replacement Parts for a Gott Thermos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 5:33:45 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.