Browsing: Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap

Having a clean dryer lint trap improves the efficiency of your appliance. This guide is about cleaning the dryer lint trap.

Dryer Lint Trap
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 6, 2009 Flag

A great way to clean the lint out of your dryer: Tear a sheet of the sticky paper off of a dog hair or lint remover roll. Wrap the sheet around your 4 fingers (less your thumb) and swipe your hand through your lint catcher and around the surrounding areas of your dryer, including the wires that lint and spider webs gather on! Even get wild and wrap a few sheets around the end of a Swiffer mop and wipe off your fan blades or hard to reach ceiling corners- lint, fuzz, hair, dust and spider webs stick to this stuff instantly.

By Ohevyisrael from Bradenton, FL

June 25, 2010 Flag

Re-use your just used dryer sheet to remove the lint from the lint-screen. It grabs the lint easily and it will help preserve your manicured nails!

By tahloolabelle from Ventura, CA

September 17, 2011 Flag

A build up of residue especially from fabric sheets is hard to remove from the screen of you lint tray for your dryer. I found a bleach stick at the dollar store and squirted the gel on the screen. The tube of get comes with a plastic brush. Rub the gel over the whole screen to break down the grime. Use the brush to rub off the residue. Rinse well. Dry.

By Tuna from Billings, MT

August 19, 2009 Flag

Here's a tip I got from my repairman when he came to do the yearly maintenance on my clothes dryer. He said to take the lint screen out of the dryer and get all the lint off of it.

March 8, 2005 Flag

I had a wonderful morning, the heating unit went out of my dryer! Why does everything seem to fall apart this time of year!? The guy that fixes things went in to the dryer and pulled out the lint filter. It was clean. We always clean the lint from the filter after every load of clothes.

November 18, 2004 Flag

I have a narrow lint trap space in my dryer. I have found that the new Swiffer Duster with the extension handle works really well for going down into the lint trap, after I have removed the trap screen. It also works really well getting under the dryer too! By Mastiffs

June 14, 2007 Flag

Many people don't know it but using dryer sheets, especially Bounce, can actually start dryer fires. To prevent this every couple weeks, remove your dryer lint trap and wash it with dish soap and warm water and then let it dry.

April 16, 2005 Flag

Be sure to clean out your dryer's lint trap, after each use. Forgetting to do so, might cause a fire. It's better to be safe than sorry.

April 26, 2007 Flag

Do you use fabric softener sheets in your dryer? Every once in awhile, take your lint trap and wash it in hot water and dry. Dryer sheets can clog your lint trap.

June 25, 2010 Flag

Keep Your Dryer Lint Free

Get in the habit of cleaning the lint screen in your dryer between each load. Your dryer will run more efficiently when the lint screen is cleaned.

By Fisher

Use Lint To Remove Lint

The dryer in our house has the lint trap on the top. Sometimes these things are hard to clean. For a quick and easy way to clean the trap, I just pick up a piece of lint and use it to collect the rest. If there is lint on top of the dryer the little ball of lint will pick that up too!

By Juanita

Answers:

Removing Lint from the Dryer

Not cleaning the lint trap in your dryer can result in a household fire. I've never experienced this myself, but I've heard of it before. Why chance a fire, when all it takes is less than 2 minutes to clean it out, each time your dryer is used? (09/15/2006)

By badwater

Removing Lint from the Dryer

Yes dryer fires are the second leading cause of household fires, grease fires being the first. (09/15/2006)

By PICO

Removing Lint from the Dryer

Excess lint can cause a fire to start, too, so this more than just a frugal tip!(09/15/2006)

By

Removing Lint from the Dryer

But, don't forget to occasionally pull out your dryer and pull the exhaust hose off of the wall to empty it of lint too! If your clothes are taking longer to dry or are carrying a "musky" odor, odds are you have a thick back up of lint back there too. This is where the real fire hazard potential is. And just to be safe, never run your dryer when you're asleep or away from home! (09/15/2006)

By mef1957

Removing Lint from the Dryer

A quick vacuum will clean up the lint from the hoses and the top quickly also. (12/01/2008)

By azurite4me

August 19, 2009 Flag

Does your clothes dryer take longer than it should to dry your clothes when set on auto-dry? Ours would be running when we got up in the morning. It had run all night! Remove the lint filter, and take it to the sink. Wash it gently with soap and water. Rinse well. Problem solved!

By Grandma Jo from Louisville, KY

Answers:

Clean Lint Trap To Improve Dryer Efficiency

The lint trap should be emptied after every load. A build up of lint is a fire hazard. (A lot of people use lint as a firestarter when camping!) You don't have to use soap and water each time. Once a year I actually open up the dryer where the lint trap and vent is and vacuum it out. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes! (11/05/2008)

By Toolgirl

I always make sure that our dryer isn't running when I go to bed, and if my husband is up later than I am, I always tell him to make sure that it is off before he goes to bed. (11/05/2008)

By Maryeileen

You can thank your lucky stars it did not burn your house down. When the bricklayers were bricking our house, some of guys were also firemen. They told us that, at their station, one of the firemen's wife had gone to town, leaving the dryer on. When she returned, their home had burnt down. She had not been cleaning the lint trap. They said you should never leave a dryer running when you can not check on it. Please do not go to bed and leave the dryer on. Something is wrong if a dryer runs all night. Get it checked out or buy a new one. Cheaper than losing a home or you life. (11/05/2008)

By Cindy in Texas

Don't check just the lint screen - check the whole thing all the way to the outside. We got our dryer and the venting new ten years ago. Recently my cats chasing one another bumped the hard pipe and knocked part of it down. I was amazed that the inside of the pipe was almost half dryer lint. We replaced all of it and now my dryer doesn't have to be on the nuclear setting to dry the clothes! (11/06/2008)

By Lynn

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesNovember 18, 2012
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain
Uses for Dryer Lint
Uses for Dryer Lint
Lint Roller
Uses for a A Lint Roller
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 10:15:51 AM on 10.0.0.30 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.